Chapter Five: No! Not Again

Taking side roads Ben drives us back to Kelsey's apartment. We've kept an eye out for anyone who might be trying to follow us and so far it appears no one has. Pulling up Ben shuts off the car and we sit quietly for a moment thinking about everything that's happened. A tear falls as I think about the ones that were shot before I stopped him. Ben notices, and takes my hand.

"Ben... I'm not sure that you or the girls need to be around me," he unlatches his seatbelt, and turns toward me.  "It seems like over the last few months that wherever I go, or whatever I do, trouble seems to follow me."

He sees how much I'm hurting and squeezes my hand, "Have you ever thought about why you have this gift?"

"Yeah, I think about it all the time. I know that Kyle and I got it from our Father."

"That's not what I mean. I'm talking about the purpose for you having it."

I pause, "I honestly don't know how to answer that."

"Back at the park I have to admit that when you stood up to face that man I was terrified. I was afraid that you were going to be killed. But as I saw the determination on your face, and everything you did, I couldn't have been more proud of you," he pauses. "I think this is a gift for you to use to help people."

I shake my head slightly, "It seems more like a curse.  All it's ever brought me is heartache."

"Well, think about it. There've been two incidents in as many days where you've made a positive difference in someone's life. You stopped a mad man from killing innocent people and literally handed him over to the police. I hate that this happened, but I'm glad that you were there to stop him. You Caitlin, are a very special girl."

As I think about what Ben's said I'm more confused than ever and can't help but think about how our first date has ended.

"After all this he'll probably not want to see me anymore, not that I would blame him."

As I'm staring out the windshield lost in my thoughts Ben reaches over and gently turns my head toward him. We look into each other's eyes and as he leans toward me we share a long kiss.  Slowly... he backs away and again we gaze at each other.

"I can't believe this just happened..."

"That was nice," he says and smiles.

"Yeah... it was," I whisper.

He leans back in his seat and takes a deep breath, "Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?" I can't help but laugh as I wipe away my tears. "Come on. Let's get you inside."

I use my key and we enter the apartment. "We're outside on the deck." Kelsey shouts and we walk outside to join them.

"You two are back early," Sam says as Kelsey kicks her leg underneath the table.

"I guess you guys haven't heard the news," Ben says. They look confused... "I think we better turn on the TV," he says. We all go into the living room, sit down and Sam turns it on. "Put it on channel four." She does and sits down.

The camera's showing the entrance to the park and there's several police cars, fire trucks and at least three EMS units in the background. The words at the bottom of the screen read "Six people shot and at least two are confirmed dead at Music Row Park."

The reporter begins to interview his first witness and he tells about seeing the singer being hit and the panic that followed. When the second witness appears I grab Ben's hand, "It's her!" 

Kelsey looks confused, "Her, Who?"

"It's the same woman that screamed at us when we were trying to leave," Ben answers.  We all remain silent as she tells her story.

"Then a young blond girl stood up from beside the stage and stared at the shooter. He noticed and turned his weapons toward her. I was expecting to watch her die when both guns were ripped out of his hands. Then she pointed her hand at him, and as she lifted her arm he levitated several feet into the air! She held him there until security arrived then she lowered him back down dropping him to the ground at their feet. As the security guards were taking him into custody, the girl and a guy with her ran away. I saw them a little later getting into a black car."

"Look, I know how crazy this sounds, but I know what I saw and I have it all on video," she holds up her cell phone. "The girl is a Paranormal!"

They return back to the studio. "We've downloaded the witness cell phone video and we must warn you this is uncensored raw footage we are about to show. Viewer discretion is advised..."

I cringe, and don't really want to look, but I have too... The video shows the band playing as everyone's having a good time. A shot rings out and the lead singer grabs his chest and falls. Everyone starts screaming and running as more shots are fired. The girl holding the phone takes cover behind a nearby t-shirt stand and looks over the counter holding her phone up.

The video shows me as I stand up, stop the shooter and levitate him into the air. Then I lower and drop him in front of the security guards and it catches Ben and I as we ran away.

The anchor comes back on, "Police have made a statement calling this a vicious domestic terrorist act. They have also issued a statement about the female subject in question."

The TV'S now showing a SPD officer, "This is one of the most vicious acts I've seen in our community. I want everyone to know that the suspect is in custody and at this time we believe he acted alone."

"Now, as for the young woman, the Paranormal, that appears to have stopped this man from continuing his rampage has my deepest gratitude."

A reporter speaks up, "What about the incident in Huntsville? There's a great deal of debate whether Paranormals are dangerous and should be locked away."

The spokesman looks at the reporter, "I can't speak on the Huntsville incident, all I can speak on is what happened tonight."

He turns his attention back to the crowd, "Whether you think Paranormals are dangerous or not is not what I am making a statement about. But, I will say this," he pauses for a few seconds, "This young woman could've ran away and kept her presence among us a secret. Many more innocent people would have been shot and we would've never known about her... but she didn't."

The crowd is silent...

"She used her ability to stop a madman and saved countless lives," he pauses and looks directly at the camera, "If you're out there watching, I want to personally thank you for what you've done. The Sacramento community owes you a debt that we'll never be able to repay." The crowd remains silent. "I also want to remind everyone again that there are six victims, two of which were killed this evening. Our thoughts and prayers go out to these victims and their families. I'll take no more questions at this time. The investigation is still ongoing. Thank you."

The video shows him walking away as the reporters continue to shout questions.

Everyone turns to me as I lean back on the couch, close my eyes and start to cry. Ben puts his arm around me and Kelsey and Sam rush to comfort me as well.

"What's wrong with me? Why is it that everywhere I go, people around me die?"