Chapter Sixteen: The Cabin

As we drive out of town Kelsey gives Ben directions to the cabin. It's just outside Yosemite National Park and except for that, everyone's been silent. In the last hour we've gone from deciding what movie we were going to see to being hunted by the Special Unit. It's the nightmare I feared... no, I guess I knew would happen...

Along the way we stop at a Quick Mart to pick up some groceries and a few other things we may need. We don't need to leave any traces so I use Maxwell's credit card. As we get back on the road I turn around, "How's everyone holding up?"

"We're okay.  Sam's still feeling the after effects of being hit with the taser but she'll be alright." Kelsey says. 

"Sam I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," she whispers.

Turning back around I grab Ben's hand and squeeze it tight.

"Yeah... all of this is." I think.

An hour later we arrive at the cabin I feel a sense of 'Deja Vu.' I know it's impossible, but I feel I've been here before...

As everyone gets out Kelsey and Ben walk up to the cabin. "The door's locked. Do you have a key?" He asks as Kelsey reaches up to the door seal.

"There's always been a key here. I don't understand. It's got to be here somewhere."

I shake off this weird feeling and walk up to them, "What's wrong?"

"No key," Ben says.

"It's always been above the door but I can't find it."

"Let me see, "I say.

They move aside and I look down at the lock... After hearing a click and the door gently swings open.

"I should've known," Kelsey says and smiles.

Somewhere over the western United States...

Keller's on his private jet headed toward the west coast and has his computer out catching up on everything he's missed. Agent White, a few of his top men, and Cara are on the plane as well. He receives a phone call and it becomes clear to agent White that it's not good news...

"Is there anything wrong Sir?" White asks.

"That was our agents in Sacramento. It seems Caitlin's become more powerful than we thought. She and her friends have escaped and one of her friends seems to be a Paranormal," he pauses a moment. "Look up everything you can find on Kelsey Hunt. It looks like we'll have to deal with her as well."

"Yes Sir.  I know we'll find them, it's just a matter of time."

"Oh, of that I have no doubt."  He turns to Cara, and smiles...

Back at the cabin...

After we've eaten, Sam's lying on the couch asleep as Ben, Kelsey and I are still sitting at the kitchen table.  Ben's staring at Kelsey remembering what happened earlier.

"Alright Ben, ask whatever you want," Kelsey finally says.

"How long have you been keeping it from me?"

"Remember my sixteenth birthday party?"  Ben looks puzzled.  "You were there, the candles?" Kelsey asks.

"The trick candles?" Ben asks.

She looks at him with a slight smirk on her face, "They weren't trick candles..."

It hits him and I can't help but laugh as he looks over at me, "I'm sorry, but the expression on your face was priceless."  Kelsey takes a sip of her drink and grins.