Chapter Twelve: Confrontation

After my presentation, everyone's slowly walking out and several students stop and thank me for coming.  Even the ones that were a little afraid of me shake my hand.  Ben's also standing close by making sure I'm alright.

After the last student walks out, Ben closes the door and turns to Fletcher and Miss Singleton. "We need to talk."

"Ben don't." I say.

Miss Singleton looks a little confused, "Ben what's wrong? I thought Caitlin did a wonderful job."

"I agree, she did. That's not the problem."

Fletcher speaks up, "Ben, are you sure you want to go down this road?"

"After today, you bet I do," he turns to turns to Miss Singleton. "Caitlin's not here purely of her own free will. Fletcher's blackmailed her into doing tests and to come here today for this demonstration. He's threatening to fail me out of his class if she doesn't cooperate."

Miss Singleton's shocked and turns to Fletcher, "Is this true?"

"Well, not exactly. I did make a remark to get Ben to introduce me to Caitlin, but that was as far as it went."

"Yeah he did and the remark was that if I didn't introduce her to him that you would make sure I didn't graduate!"

She turns to Fletcher, "Did you say that to Ben? Have you threatened Ben or Caitlin in any way?"

Fletcher avoids the question, "Caitlin hasn't done anything she's not agreed to. She's had a choice in everything we've done."

Singleton turns to me, "Were you given a choice Caitlin, or did he threaten you?"

Pleadingly I look at Ben... and I honestly don't know what to do.

"Fletcher did threaten Ben to get me to come in. But I had a choice about the tests and coming here today." I know I've let Ben down, but I'm trying to salvage his future. 

Miss Singleton turns to Fletcher, "I'll review the security tapes for this classroom and if Professor Fletcher has made threats to you or Ben it will be taken care of," she turns to Fletcher. "And I will personally be watching Ben's grades. I know he's at the top five percent of his class. If I see anything unusual happen, I will intervene. Is that understood professor?"

"Clearly Miss Singleton."

"Good. For now it's settled." She walks over to me, "Thank you for coming here today. I know it took a lot of courage and I think you made everyone feel differently about Paranormals. I'm very glad to have met you Caitlin."

"Thank you," I say and shake her hand. She glances at Ben and Fletcher, then walks out of the door.

After an uneasy moment, Fletcher looks at Ben, "You will regret this... I promise."

"I don't care!" He shouts.

"Please, both of you STOP!" I shout and the glass in Fletcher's door shatters. We all look at it and I shake my head.

"Let's go Ben." I walk out over the broken glass and Ben follows.

As we get in the car Ben slams his door, "I'm sorry Caitlin, but he's not going to take advantage of you anymore." 

"I know you're trying to protect me, but I can handle him." Ben starts the car and we drive away. "Besides, we've got more important things to think about than Fletcher."

"I know. I just don't want the one I love to be taken advantage of." He looks at me and I smile... then he does too.

Back at the apartment...