Chapter Two

6 Years Ago

The weather was cold, the air moist. Of course, who could pay any attention to the weather when you were on the run? My leg muscles were trembling as they tensed in order to keep me pressed against the ruins of a fallen building. I could hear their footsteps, each thus making my heart skip a beat. I held my breath, thanking God I was wearing all black.

All noise ceased, the officers had stopped.

"Shit! We lost her." One of them cursed. The captain growled and started swearing.

"God dammit! Get off your assess and find her!" He barked.

I exhaled as they began to retreat back to the opposite way, their footsteps fading away. I knew I wasn't out of the fire yet, but at least they were gone. I couldn't take the chance of staying in the ruins, they could double back and find me. Taking my chance I leapt from the ruins, landing in a stealth crouch in order to minimize the noise.

The bushes in front of me rustled, making my head snap up. My eyes narrowed, a feeling of being watched making chills crawl up my spine. I did my best to brush the feeling off; I didn't have time to be paranoid.

"Hey! I saw something over there."

I muttered a curse and lurched forward, bolting away from the ruins. My legs carried me swiftly, my mind lingering in the chances of me being caught. It was a high probability, I mean my group-Peter and and Jazzy-were not behind me like they usually would have been. They should have been shadowing me.

"Please be OK, guys." I whispered my prayer and glanced over my shoulder. I wanted to see how far away the police were. For the time being it seemed like they were far enough behind me which meant that I was almost in the clear, however that still didn't rule out the possibility of them searching for me.

At this point I still had no clue and no way of knowing if Peter and Jazzy were caught. Even if they were, I didn't know if I could trust them not to rat me out. Though, I wouldn't exactly blame them if they did. After all, this wasn't my first time breaking the law-but it was theirs.

If I was in their situation I might not hesitate to give their names up. Nevertheless, I hoped they were alright.

As I rounded the corner that would bring me home I mentally prepared myself for an ambush; if the cops were smart they would have shown up at my place, right? Thankfully, instead of cops I found the two people that I had been hoping to see.

"Hannah!" Peter sighed. I could see the relief in his sky blue eyes. I smiled in response, running in to his embrace. I was immediately enveloped by the strength of his arms. Jazzy wasn't too far behind him, letting out her own relieved laughter. I grunted as I found myself being lifted from the ground. It only took me a moment to recollect myself.

"How did you two make it out of there?"

I was still taken aback by the shock of their presence. Jazzy stepped forward after Peter put me down and wrapped her thin chocolate colored arms around my waist. When we pulled back I waited for a response.

"It wasn't easy," she began after she found the words. "We couldn't keep up with you very well. You were too fast. We took a detour through the graveyard."

I frowned, my heart sinking. Something wasn't right. The graveyard is surrounded by a chain-linked fence, a tall one at that.

"How did you-?"

"There was a hole in the bottom of the fence that we were able to just squeeze through." Peter stepped in.