Chapter Fourteen

"We have to go, Kid."

Her scent sent almost as many chills through him as the soft pressure of his hand on her waist. Almost. The difference was so close that he could hardly pick up on it; but that would be dealt with later. Ty gripped her waist, throwing her on to his shoulder as he maneuvered himself to face the passenger door. She was lighter than most girls, but still bore some weight to her. He was thankful for this, it means he'd be able to move quicker than he had anticipated. With his free hand he grabbed the door handle and opened the door with a satisfying click. The car began to swerve dangerously, veering off the side of the road and roaming towards a thick oak tree. He only had mere seconds now, the car door swung open at will from the force of the cars swerving. His nails dig into her side, reassuring his grip as he flung himself out of the car with a hardened grunt. Landing on the ground with a shaky stumble he quickly steadied himself, hoisting Hannah's body up on his shoulder a bit more. The mixture of her clothes shifting on his and the crunch of the tree bark splintering to his left aggravated his nerves, making his jaw tighten. A soft but low growl emitted from his chest, vibrating his body. He hurled himself forward, his bodily image lingering in one spot for a moment before it all but disappeared and evaporated into the air. His blue eyes had shifted, a fiery yellow color began to spread like blood in the water, consuming his iris's. The world became clearer, almost zoomed in. He was aware of every detail, every scent. His body craved the change, his bones aching as he fought of the transformation. He wanted nothing but his senses and movements to change.

He needed speed, speed that would have him two and a half miles out in nine minutes. He couldn't get that with his normal reflexes, no. He needed his wolf gene activated, or as he would call it—his curse. Ty bolted forward, one arms securing Hannah on his shoulder and the other clearing any obstacles in his pathway. He ran passed people on the crowded sidewalks, weaving in and out undetected by the human eye. He could at least be proud of that one benefit of his birthright. She was lighter than most of the women he'd ever come into contact with, though not too light. He could smell the lavender flooding his nostrils as he continued to run. His lips curled in a visible grimace, this woman's scent was overpowering. His unkempt brown hair looked almost tame in the wind as he ran, though he admitted to himself her weight did slow him down some. He hadn't slept in about 30 hours and he was growing weary now. He needed to rest.

Something sour and rotten filled his nostrils, the smell of rotting meat and acid. His eyes widened as he dropped to his knees, gliding a slight distance before coming to a stop before slumping Hannah's body to the ground and throwing himself over her, covering her. A loud bang and puff of smoke filled the air. Soft whistling shot across the flat of his back, his jacket shredding open. He grunted, the flesh on his back seeping white hot pain. His teeth now bared, he ground them against each other. He growled, low and guttural.

Damn Hunters, he cursed inwardly. They had set up a meat trap, rigged to go off when a simple bit of fishing line is disturbed. The metal bullets that were fired from three separate points on the tree to his right. One would have been pointed at his head or neck, another at his chest so as to pierce his heart by entering through his right side and exiting through his left, and finally one aimed at his legs just in case the particular victim was in wolf form. They would have hit their marks, too. Luckily for him, whoever had set up the trap had used too much acid on the meat. Normally the acid would smell like acid rain, disguising the bomb like a rotting wildlife carcass. This time, though, they had dropped one or two more drops than needed, thus giving away the bombs presence. Unfortunately for his back, whoever had put the bombs in place also placed the lower bomb a little too low. He lifted himself up, straddling her and staring down at Hannah in resentment.

"Just you wait, kid, when the time for Sacrifice comes, I'm going to enjoy hunting you." He vowed, his voice husky. His leather jacket had taken one for the team, and while that pissed him off he knew it was a necessary sacrifice that can be sutured up once he got to his Pack's old 'safe zone.' Hannah groaned, she was finally stirring.

He sat back on his heels, giggling in desperation. He was desperate for a break, and a good nights rest. Hannah moved her head, her brows drawing together. His yellow eyes flashed with sudden delight as he saw an opportunity, his fingers curling into a tight fist. She opened her eyes slightly, giving him a small glance at her lavender and gold speckled eyes. His fist crashed into her nose, blood spurting out and covering her chin and neck. He reared back, shaking his hand furiously.

"Son of a bitch! What is wrong with you?!" He yelled at the unconscious woman. The pain in his hand throbbed.

Gods she has a thick skull.

His anger turned into an ironic smile. "Thick skull...explains your hardheaded manner." He let out a breathy laugh, picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder again. He'd stop the bleeding—and the swelling—later. Before continuing his mission he scanned the area, finding his trail becoming obstructed every fourth tree. He would have to take the high road on this, another problem he'd have to deal with.

This girl is going to kill him.