Chapter 5 - Captain of Shogi and Captain of Basketball

Chiharu caught the bullet train back to Kyoto the next morning. Not only because she needed to get ready and go back to school, but because she felt fueled with the desire to change Akashi.

"This train is about to stop at Kyoto. Please alight here. This train is about to stop at Kyoto. Please alight here."

Chiharu stood as she heard the familiar words. She dragged her pink suitcase behind her as she made her way off the train and out of the station. She caught a cab back to her apartment.

Akashi may have been able to scare off the old Chiharu, however her new self wouldn't give up so easily.

...

Chiharu opened the door to her classroom, taking her seat by the window. Kisara had already arrived and bounced up to her. Chiharu noticed the empty seat behind her; the other window seat that no one took.

"Why don't you sit there?" she questioned to the standing Kisara.

Kisara froze in shock before glancing towards the empty desk.

"You don't know? Our student council president sits there..." she muttered, while she nervously glanced at the empty desk.

"WHAT?!" Chiharu managed to cry out before the door to the classroom opened. The whole class froze as they turned towards the door. Akashi walked into the classroom, taking his seat behind Chiharu. The whole class stared at him as he took his place calmly. After he placed his bag beside his desk, he turned towards the rest of the class.

"I haven't been able to attend school for a week, but it's nice to see everyone again," he stated before taking a book out of his bag and reading it.

He sits behind me. Shoot. Akashi-kun sits behind me.

Chiharu processed the unnerving thoughts through her mind.

"Gosh, you didn't know..." started Kisara. "That's why no one ever sat there. He's also the president of the Shogi club that you applied for."

Chiharu turned in her seat to face the red-haired boy. She observed him before mustering her courage to initiate a conversation.

"Akashi-kun," she began. Kisara stopped her.

"No! Don't! You don't know what he's like when you talk to him without a purpose!" she muttered before glancing at Akashi.

Akashi lifted his head, his heterochromatic eyes gazing intensely at Chiharu and then Kisara.

"What is it, Momoi?" he asked finally.

Kisara watched him in shock. She looked back and forth from Akashi to Chiharu.

Chiharu smiled. "Nothing. I'll see you later at club activities. Mondays and Wednesdays right?" she questioned.

Akashi nodded before looking back at the book he was reading.

"D... dude, you talked to him," stammered Kisara.

"He is human after all," Chiharu replied smiling to herself. Just those few words made her happy.

I talked to him. He answered me.

...

Chiharu pushed open the sliding doors of a small room with the label 'Shogi Club Room'. Although it was small, it reminded her of the Teiko Middle School Shogi room. She observed the tiny, square room, her eyes stopping at two tables that held only two shogi boards. That meant that only a maximum of four other people was a part of the club.