Chapter 22 - Golden Eyes

"So Akashi-kun's unstable, huh? I figured..." muttered Satsuki, shaking her head.

After the opening ceremony of the Winter Cup, Chiharu had met up with Satsuki. They were currently sitting on a bench outside the Tokyo gym.

"Yes, although his ruby eyes have returned, when angered he changes back..." Chiharu shared. "I'm not sure if I can change him completely... or at least until he's defeated."

Satsuki nodded her head. "Dai-chan also has a similar mentality. It seems no one is able to defeat him. But..." She chewed on her lower lip and Chiharu turned towards her.

"What is it?" Chiharu asked.

"Seirin High School basketball team," she muttered.

"Kuroko-kun's team?" Chiharu questioned in surprise.

"Yes," Satsuki whispered. "They are the dark horses of the Winter Cup and apparently they have already defeated Midorin's school Shutoku High and Ki-chan's school Kaijo High."

"But Kuroko-kun? How?" started Chiharu.

"The brighter the light, the darker the shadow," Satsuki quoted. "Kuroko has found a new light. A boy called Kagami Taiga."

Chiharu's eyes widened in shock. She had heard that name countless times before. That name was the one person Himuro had always wanted to defeat. 

"Kagami Taiga is in Seirin High School's basketball club?!"

Satsuki nodded, a little startled from Chiharu's exclamation.

"If anyone is going to beat Dai-chan, I hope it will be them," she said, her voice rising. "They have something that the Generation of Miracles lost..."

"Trust," muttered Chiharu in sudden realisation. 

Chiharu had a growing feeling that Seirin High would win the Winter cup. 

 In accordance with Himuro, Kagami was an ever-growing monster. If it was him, Kuroko and their team's deep trust, he could definitely defeat Akashi.

"Yes, trust. I think that trust is something that both Dai-chan and Akashi-kun need. I only hope that Seirin High would rise above all of the Generation of Miracles and bring that back," Satsuki said. 

She glanced at Chiharu, suddenly feeling very embarrassed.

"Of course we won't give them an easy time! I will do all I can to help my team!" she briefly cried.

Chiharu smiled. 

"Yes, I too hope that Seirin High will be able to bring the Generation of Miracles back."

...

"Chiharu, it seems that when we return to Kyoto, we will be able to continue Shogi club activities," Akashi randomly stated on the bullet train back to Kyoto.

Chiharu almost jumped out of her chair in excitement. She loved shogi and she especially loved playing against Akashi.

"We SHOULD totally!" she replied enthusiastically.

Akashi smirked. 

He then hesitated, unmoving words on his lips. 

Chiharu hummed for him to continue and he blinked in response.

"I've found our last Shogi club member," he finally said. "She's a distant relative of mine..."

Chiharu's smile brightened. 

"Another member! Yay, more competitors!" she exclaimed.

Akashi grinned at Chiharu's positivitee.