Chapter 33 - Red and White

"Are you ready?" Satsuki asked.

"No," the twin peach head succinctly replied.

Satsuki giggled, lightly slapping her twin sister on the back.

"You do know that Akashi-kun has been waiting months for this day."

Chiharu rubbed her back.

"I know, but if I was ready to marry him I wouldn't be normal" she replied.

She looked into her palms, sweaty from her own nervousness.

Satsuki clenched her twin's shoulders and pulled her into an upright position.

"Look," she said, pointing to the mirror in front.

Chiharu observed her reflection.

She looked ready, with her body dolled up in a magnificent red and white western dress, pink hair pulled up into gorgeous and slightly curled bun and face lightly dabbed with powder and make up.

This was not her.

This couldn't be her.

Yet this girl's frown and smile reflected her own. It gave her the confidence she had always dreamed of having.

Satsuki reached out for her camera lying on the vanity in front but as she did, she bumped her wedding invitation onto the floor. Instantly Chiharu's attention was drawn to the red and white flyer, it's formal and business like words lighting butterflies in her stomach. Reality came back to her as she thought of all the important business officials that would be attending their wedding.

The headlines of tomorrow's news would definitely be about their marriage. She could already see its words. 'Twenty and graduated, the young CEO of the Akashi corporations gets married to the granddaughter of the Azuma Firm.'

Although she and Akashi truly loved each other, Chiharu knew that many people would use their marriage to their advantage. It made her sick. However, it wasn't everyday that two rival companies joined together, especially out of marriage. Such events were unbelievable to the point of being impossible.

After graduating from Rakuzan High, both Akashi and Chiharu had spent two years slightly apart to focus on their careers. Thus no one, especially the media, had seen the marriage coming. What they didn't know was that the marriage was predetermined right after graduation. Chiharu still remembered their promise and his proposal.

...

Two years ago – Rakuzan High graduation

"Seijuro, two years is a long time. Are you sure?"

Akashi's eyes met his beloved.

"You need those two years, don't you?"

Chiharu's eyes watered. They were separating and she knew that it was because of her.

In the two years after Rakuzan's loss in the Winter Cup, Chiharu had become a professional teen Shogi player, whilst Akashi became a professional basketball player and horse rider. Even if they didn't succeed academically, they already made a good living in their other compartments as professionals.

Still, Akashi was to inherit his Father's company, temporary controlled by his aunt, until he had graduated. Chiharu, too, had dreams of opening her own patisserie whilst studying business and working internships at the Azuma Firm. In order to focus and achieve their dreams it was necessary to separate, especially since Chiharu was offered a scholarship into a two year patisserie course in the U.S. If she wanted to make a professional career out of this, she had to leave.