Chapter 16 - Youth

8 Years Ago

"Eeeeee!!!!!!!"

Chiharu dodged through the entrapment of branches throughout the garden and ran towards Satsuki's screaming voice. For Summer Break, they had come to visit their grandma on their mother's side at her bungalow in Hokkaido. Aomine's family, as close friends of theirs, had also come. 

Chiharu's ears perked as the squeal rang throughout the garden again. She narrowed her eyes, absolutely sure on who the culprit was.

Daiki. It must've been Daiki.

Pushing past the final barrier of twigs, with her small elementary school body, she was greeted by her twin sister's upset face. Sitting on her head was Grandma Koji's pet frog, it's sickly green arms clenched on top of Satsuki's peach hair.

"GEDDIT OFF! GEDDIT OFF!" yelled Satsuki in tears. Next to her stood a smirking tanned skinned, dark haired boy; Aomine.

"Daiki!" Chiharu cried in disapproval as she jogged up to the pair. Her gaze was transmitted towards the slimy frog that clasped itself onto Satsuki's hair.

"Sara!" she exclaimed reprovingly to the green frog who would not let go. Her peach-coloured eyes met it's glassy dark pupils and she could not help but smile at the small creature whose head tilted in slight confusion.

Although Chiharu had an abnormal fear of all living creatures, she had come to love the bright green frog when it had first sat on her head. Back then no matter what she did, it did not move but instead clenched tightly and sat there for the entire day. Sara's tenaciousness had enchanted Chiharu and from then on she loved her Grandma's pet.

Chiharu grabbed the green frog of Satsuki's head. "Sara! No!" she reprimanded again. The green frog jumped of her hand and onto Chiharu's head.

Satsuki's eyes widened at the occurrence. She scrambled back and kept a distance from Chiharu and Sara. Aomine laughed cheekily.

"Chiharu! Satsuki! Daiki," yelled Grandma Koji's crisp voice. The tangle of branches parted magically for the old and feeble woman. Her eyes first scanned Aomine's sheepish face, then transferred to Satsuki's teary eyes and slimy hair and finally at Chiharu's bright face in which she could tell reflected Sara's own. Sara had grown a heavy attachment to Chiharu.

She walked up to the younger twin, her eyes directed at Sara.

"Sara return!" she commanded and the small frog jumped of Chiharu's head and onto Grandma Koji's open palm.

"Chiharu, Satsuki, Daiki. Get yourselves washed up! It's dinner time," she instructed before turning stiffly and walking back towards the bungalow.

All children jolted up straight, listening to the old lady.

No one disobeyed Grandma Koji.

...

Present time

"Akashi-kun," began Chiharu, placing both palms flat on the desk behind her.

Akashi smirked. "It's Seijuro," he replied.

Her peach eyes met his ruby eyes. She flushed a bright red before losing her grip and falling forward. Akashi caught her.

"What is it Chiharu?" he replied smoothly, those enchanting ruby eyes staring back at her.

Yes, Akashi's real self had returned; his normal self that had been born with warm, red eyes.

After the red-eyed Akashi returned, he revealed that his heterochromatic-eyed, other self still existed however had sunken to the bottom of his consciousness. He would not be awoken unless he was in drastic circumstances.