Chapter 8 - Tofu Soup

"Chiharu-channn!!!" exclaimed Kisara, bouncing up to the peach head's table. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

The class' attention turned to Chiharu, and she flushed under their stares.

May the fourth; her birthday.

Honestly, Chiharu didn't wish for people to know it was her birthday as it brought her unnecessary attention and embarrassment. However, as her classmates surrounded her table, each congratulating her, she could not help but smile gratefully at their kindness.

Soon they left her table, finally giving Chiharu a break from their non-stop questions. As she took a deep breath, her eyes narrowed at the source of her fatigue; Kisara. She shot a raised eyebrow towards her, as if asking how she had known it was her birthday.

Kisara was grinning from ear to ear as her eyes met Chiharu, reading her raised eyebrow. "I'm not telling you," she sang with a smirk. Instead she ruffled through her bag, pulling out a wrapped present.

"For you!" she cried, her eyes sparkling.

Chiharu's eyes widened at the gift. She wasn't sure whether to take it or not. No one except her own family had ever given her a birthday present. "Uhh..." she began, unsure.

Kisara frowned, forcefully shoving it into Chiharu's hands. "I bought it for you, the least you could do is accept and open it."

Realising her actions may have offended her friend, she quickly accepted the gift in gratitude and happiness. It was wrapped in red, Christmas paper, causing Chiharu to giggle.

"I didn't have any other wrappings," Kisara grumbled, slightly looking away from embarrassment.

Chiharu did not hear her in the excitement of opening the present, revealing a bean-bag like red bean plush. Chiharu's eyes widened at the adorable soft toy and she squealed in happiness. She eyed her friend, quickly embracing her in a tight hug.

"Thank you!!!" she almost screeched, her happiness overflowing like a fountain. Kisara grinned, hugging her friend back.

...

Akashi returned the following week.

Chiharu had noticed the dark eye bags that marked his pale face as well as the constant frowns he wore during class and outside. It worried her.

The preliminaries for the Inter High were starting soon, later that month, but Akashi had told the coach that he would not participate. He spent less time at club practices, both at the basketball club and the Shogi club, and more time either at home or at the Student Council Room doing work.

What did his work concern?

She didn't know. Chiharu had a faint idea, though, that it was to do with his family's company.

"Akashi-kun," Chiharu called. She chased the red-haired figure down the school corridor. Akashi turned around as he heard his name being called.

His eyes widened. "Momoi?" he asked.

Chiharu stopped in front of him, panting. Although the redhead was short in comparison to the members of the basketball club, he walked twice as fast as them.

"The coach wants me to deliver these papers to you. He understands that you're busy now, but even if you don't attend club practice, you should still have a look at the opponents we're versing in the preliminaries. I've organised their profiles in chronological order so it should be easier for you."

Akashi nodded and took the papers from Chiharu. "I understand," he stated before turning and walking a step away. However as soon as he made that step, he paused. Chiharu tilted her head in question of his actions.