Tarantula- Spider Eye Series- Harry Styles

Prologue- April's POV

3:37 a.m. - November, 2076

I pushed myself up against the wooden door. My gray-green eyes peeked  through the crack in the doorframe as I watched my drunken boyfriend, Jared, stumble around our shabby and unkempt living room. He did this to me a lot, always coming home late and drunk. Sometimes he would bring his "beer buddies." I would tell you why I didn't just break up with him, but I'm sure you'll see why in a minute. His reddened eyes scanned the house as he came to a halt. Eventually, they rested on the closet in which I was hidden. I shut the door, but it had already caught his attention. He lumbered towards me, grinning greedily. He yanked open the door and I fell out, landing on my hands and knees at his feet. He grabbed my forearm and roughly pulled me up.

"Come on out sweetheart, join the party." I could feel his warm breath against my neck. I wrinkled my nose at the rancid stench of alcohol and cigarette smoke wafting from his mouth and his clothing. He dragged me into the living room by my hair. 

"Stop..." I choked out.

"Okay."  He dropped me to the  uneven wooden slats that were supposed to be the floor of this wretched house.

"Why don't you go fetch us some snacks?" He slurred. I got up and scrambled into the kitchen, knowing it was best to obey. I heard his loud, brazen laugh echo from the living room as I opened our tiny, rusty refrigerator. This refrigerator was made back in 2013, I think. The ones now are walk-in, but I've never seen one. I rooted through the beer bottles to find some lemon water to clear his nasty hangover, which I knew would be coming soon. I also put some meat and cheese on a tray. As soon as I walked out of the kitchen the tray was snatched from me and I was pushed up against the wall. I could see Jared's smirk from the corner of my eye before he hit me and shoved me towards the ground. The, he grabbed the collar of my shirt, pulling me up to face him.

"You know what? You're worthless. Say it." He spat.

"I'm worthless." I repeated, my voice monotone. Although, I didn't believe it. I knew I wasn't worthless. I was tired of living this way. He let go of me, and I sank to the floor. He turned away to gobble up the snacks. I took this time to examine my body. I hadn't had a good shower in a while. My hair was thin and I was dirty. And the bruises. Black, purple and blue spots of different sizes and shapes covered my body. I was thin as a twig, and hungry. My breathing was wheezy. I wasn't going to live like this anymore. 

At this point in time, thinking rationally wasn't really going to happen. Instead, I decided to immobilize him and run away, and searched for the nearest weapon that could do that.

I turned and saw the lamp from the coffee table beside the couch. He finished eating and turned around and kicked me in the stomach. I knew he was going to beat me senseless. So as soon as he turned away again, I leapt for the opportunity. I made a wild grab for the lamp, and raised it high, striking the back of his head. He fell. I dropped the lamp and crawled over to him.

He made a queer gurgling noise in his throat. He looked at me with hateful eyes that soon began to glaze over. Had I hit a fatal spot? I checked his wrist for a pulse, and listening for his heartbeat. The plan was only for me to immobilize him. He made a feeble attempt to grab my hair, but his breathing was shallow. He moaned and involuntarily dropped his hand. I gasped and stood up, stumbling towards the door. As I opened It and made my way out, the gurgling and moaning stopped.

Jared was dead. And I had killed him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~