Broken Peace

"In and then out," Eve tells me as I try to level my breathing. She's trying to teach me breathing methods for the big day, but it's really bothering me.

"I guess this means no epidural," I ask her and she just gives me a sympathetic smile, "you sure I can't do this in, say, a hospital, the place with the doctors and the drugs?"

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born," she tells me, "stop worrying."

"Eve, you realize I'm 347," I ask her and she just nods her head, "ugh, then what, Eve? I compelled my mother to forget who I was after I turned into a vampire. How am I supposed to be one if I haven't had one in 330 years?"

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do," she assures me.

I sigh, "I hope so. As fun as it is to imagine Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure I'll be on my own."

"I somehow doubt that," she says with a smile, "where were you all last night? You disappeared rather quickly." I blush at her words, but leave her hanging. Klaus and I were up very late last night...well morning. I had wanted to stay in the compound, but I have things to do here in the bayou and Klaus has things he needs to deal with in the Quarter. It was nice to be back together with him without Genevieve's influence. Klaus insisted that I move back into the compound, but I told him that I didn't want to break the trust that has started to form between me and the pack. The screen door of the cabin creaks open and there stands Elijah.

"Pardon the interruption," he greets us, "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising." I nod my head and get up off the ground, heading out of the cabin to find Jackson and Oliver. I find the both of them in the dining hall by themselves. Elijah and I walk in, closing the door behind us. "You're making a grave mistake," he tells them.

"So, you're worried about us. Is that is," Oliver asks him, a smile on his face.

"Look, Elijah, we know all about your brother's reputation," Jack assures him, "but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse-"

"Our gift," Oliver corrects him.

"Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after," Jackson finishes, "won't have to."

"I see," Elijah says, "there are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation."

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way," Oliver says and I have to admit he has a point.

Elijah looks at me now, "you signed a pledge and you looked me in the eye as you did so."

I sigh, "we don't want a fight, Elijah. We just want a better life."

"Allegiance with my brother will guarantee you anything, but that," Elijah says.

"I can keep Klaus in line," I tell him. The sound of a motorcycle cuts us short.

"What the hell," Jack asks as we all file out of the dining hall to see who it is. We weave our way through the camp until we find a man sitting on a motorcycle.

"Which one of you is in charge," the man asks us.

"Who's asking," Jackson asks, stepping forward towards the man, but all he does is smile. Suddenly, Elijah darts forward to tackle the man, but it's too late. The motorcycle explodes, sending all of us to the ground. I land yards away from the bike next to Oliver. There's this ethereal hum in the air, making me shut my ears to the sound of it. Thankfully, I don't feel anything wrong, so I sit up, examining the area.