Home

The following morning, the witches released me to Elijah with the promise that Marcel not know I'm in town. Elijah brought me to the plantation house where Marcel used to live. I had been there the day Klaus and Marcel met. In fact, it was that same year that I met the Mikaelsons. It was the day of the governor's only son's funeral. Apparently, the governor had another son from a mother that he owned. Marcel was being whipped for disobedience. Klaus stepped in and killed the man harming Marcel. Klaus asked Marcel what his name was and his answer was something Klaus didn't expect.

"Don't got one," Marcel had said, "mama wouldn't name me till I turned ten, case the fever took me. Then it took her."

"You're a survivor," Klaus had said, "and survivors need names. How about Marcellus?"

"Marcellus," Marcel had asked.

"It comes from Mars, the god of war, and it means little warrior," Klaus had said. Klaus loved Marcel like a son. He saw himself in the boy. He remembered how Mikael used to beat him. He, too, was the bastard child of a man who saw him as nothing but a beast. Inside the plantation house, everything had sheets thrown over them. I'm in the living room, pulling the sheets off the couches and opening the blinds. I start to cough from all the dust when I hear Elijah walk in.

"You all right," Elijah asks.

"Just dust," I say smiling, "I haven't been here in a long time. I'm glad no one has decided to live here."

"Yes it should serve our purposes," Elijah says, "It's a sanctuary from our business in the Quarter. Right now, you're the most important person in this family. You need a good home. So, I'm curious. In all this time, has anyone asked you how you feel?"

"About having a miracle baby with a psychotic one-night stand," I ask.

"About being a mother," Elijah clarifies.

I sigh, "When I was Turned, I killed my siblings and then compelled my mother to forget about her children, me included. So, I don't really know how I feel about being a mother because my own mother didn't even know who I was when she died."

"I will always protect you," Elijah says, "You have my word."

I smile, "I know you will."

"And noble Elijah always keeps his word," Klaus says from the door. We both turn to look at him.

"Is it done," Elijah asks.

"As a matter of fact, yes, your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood, even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man Thierry yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches."

"I believe them to be honorable," Elijah says, "they did release Cordelia to me. Although they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead. There must be a reason why."

"A secret weapon," I say. Klaus and Elijah nod. Klaus reaches into his pocket and hands me a new iPhone.

"Here," he says as I take it, "I figured you would need a new one since the witches destroyed your other one."

I smile, "thanks."

He nods, "all I ask is that you stay in this house. On no account will you go into the Quarter."

I nod, "you have my word." Klaus walks out of the room and Elijah follows him. I linger in the room and sit down on the couch. Dust flies around as I search through the contacts of my new phone. All of my old contacts are in there, but there are also new contacts. Sophie and Sabine's numbers are in my phone as well as Marcel and Thierry's numbers. I pull down the notifications tab and find one single event on it. Tomorrow at 5:30 is the Mystic Falls High School graduation ceremony. I get up off the couch and search the house for Klaus. I find him coming up the cellar stairs.