Broken Keys

Hey Readers, I had this idea for this story. I hope you like it. Please give me your feedback! If I get enough comments and what not I'll know to write more. Thanks and enjoy!

Broken Keys - Chapter One

I let my long silky hair flow through the wind until our car pulled up into our new drive way. As I jumped out of the car and stretched I could not help but feel sorrow take over me. It was never my choice to move but my family and I were starting a new life. It was time to forget everything that happened in the past and move on, but I am not ready to move on.

I strolled up the front door, clutching one of my suit cases. The moving trucks would be here later on today to drop off the rest of our belongings from San Diego. I already missed everything from my old home, my friends, other family, but most of all the salty air. I was not the typical beach girl but I still loved the atmosphere.

"Well here we are," my dad said while unlocking the front door. I groaned as I saw how big the place was. Most people would be excited but more space equaled more room to put mom's old things. A few months ago my mom died in a car wreck. My sister and I were in the car but we weren't as injured as she was. My mom, Marie, had head trauma and died from impact. My older sister Savannah left the hospital with a broken arm and a sprained ankle. When the other car slammed into our jeep, the front window cracked, releasing broken glass. I was unfortunate enough to be sliced by a piece that required twenty stitches. Six months later I stand here today with a remaining scar lying across my stomach. I didn't mind having it always. If my mother could go through what she had to, then I could handle a simple scar.

After the continuous process of grief, my father decided it would be best for a new start. I on the other hand drastically disagreed. Addison and Jamie, my older sister and brother, did not mind as much but I sure did. The only reason we could even afford to move was because my dad got lucky and was offered a teaching job at the private school. Unluckily for me, that's the new school I would be attending and since I knew I would take music as an elective I know I would be bound to have my dad as my teacher. My whole life revolved around music. My mom used to say my voice was a gift made by God himself but, I try not to think about her anymore. It hurts too much.

Addie could sing a little but not up to my standards. I was no doubt the best out of all of our family. My voice even out shone my precious mother's. Jamie loved stroking his guitar strings and my dad basically played anything he could get his hands on. Personally, I loved playing my mom's old piano but I haven't touched it since the night of the accident.

I watched the movers unpack everything and seeing them carefully setting down my mom's piano brought my heart to a sudden stop. I was going to have to look at this thing every time I entered and left the household.

"Dad," I called. He came walking up from behind me. "Yes sweetheart?" "Can we please put it somewhere else?" I asked while nodding towards the grand instrument. "Sorry honey, this is the only place it will fit. It might be best for you anyway. You should try to play and sing again sweetie. It might bring you some peace."

I looked at the piano in disgust. I knew it hurt my father to see me hating such a beloved item of ours. And yes my fingers did yearn to touch the solid white keys as well as my voice ached to reach out, but I am not ready. My mom would be so disappointed to see my wasting my talent by willingly not using it. Sorry mom I just can't, I thought.

The rest of the weekend went by quickly like they always do. Tomorrow morning I would actually have to enroll in a new school. There is nothing worse than being the new kid. Hopefully the cliches would not come true. If I had to deal with snotty rich kids and menacing bullies, no one would be happy. My outgoing personality would most likely get the best of me and I can only image what might happen. The truth is I don't take crap from anyone. I will stick up for myself and other people if I feel like I am being threatened.