Chapter Eleven

Broken Keys and Shattered Howls

Chapter Eleven

Old Enemies and New Friends

The ride to the lake was filled with a comfortable silence. Every few seconds one of us would take a quick sideways glance at each other and whenever someone got caught we just smiled. I always felt a warm atmosphere surrounding Derrick and it makes me feel so calm.

Once we arrived, the blaring of music and loud people could be heard from the parking lot. It was about half a mile walk down to the lake and Derrick made the journey seem easy since he was expertly weaving through the undergrowth and trees. He obviously has been here many times because he knew the directly hidden pathway to the secluded site.

When we finally arrived a short gasp escaped my mouth. Before me, stood the same exact lake from my dream with my mother. Everything was precisely right from the size of the lake to every single tree that surrounded it.

Derrick must have not heard my gasp because he didn’t question me whatsoever. But I found it so odd that I had a dream about this place and yet I have never seen it before in my entire life.

A huge fire was burning and crazy teenagers were all over the forest sight, surrounding the whole area. I did not expect this many people to be here and they kind of made me uncomfortable.

“Isn’t this great?” Derrick smiled. I simply nodded and allowed him to walk me down to the fire pit.

Familiar faces from school could be seen all around but I did not know anyone well enough to say hi or start up a conversation.

I heard my name being called in the background and turned to find Taylor and Mia waving like maniacs. I smiled and made my descent towards them, with Derrick following behind me.

“I’ll go find us some drinks. Be back in a sec” He said then reluctantly he wandered off.

“Taylor, Mia.” I smiled.

“Hey Alana! We were wondering when you were going to show up.” Taylor slurred. Mia glared at Taylor annoyingly.

“She’s drunk. Again.” Mia frowned.

“Does she always drink this much?” I questioned with concern.

“Sometimes, and somehow I am always the one who ends up babysitting her.” Mia replied.

Taylor seemed liked such a sweet girl when I first met her, I never thought she would be the drunken type. But people never appear to be who you think they are. But I could be wrong. Taylor probably will remain a nice girl but her drunken side might be unquestionable.

“Go have some fun. I’ll watch her for a while,” I told Mia.

“Oh really? But you just got here, you haven’t gotten to party yet.” She frowned.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll catch up with you in a little bit and we can take shifts.” I offered.