Chapter Two

After class I rushed over to Addie's car. I waited a good ten minutes before she bothered to show up. "Hey, how was your day?" Addie questioned with a grin.

"Besides being picked on by the school slut okay, yours?" I answered annoyed.

"Yeah I heard about that, sorry sis." Addie replied.

"It's nothing I can't handle. How was your day?"

"Great! I think I am gonna really like it here." She said while driving off. Well i guess that makes one of us.

As we approached our new home Addie dropped me off.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I was invited down to Sunny's Cafe along with a bunch of other seniors. I'll be back before dinner." She said while driving off down the road. I was afraid to go inside alone, for I knew that my mother's piano would be waiting in there for me. Well I have no car and no money so I'm just going to have to face it and go inside. My body walked hesitantly up to the front door and I began the long search for my keys. As I jiggled the front door open the house alarm went off. The screeching noise blared throughout my ears. "Damn it shut up!" I yelled while running over the security pad lock. I quickly punched in the six digit code and my ears were blessed with silence.

I made my way over to the center of the house where I found the giant black object mocking me. Slowly, I inched forward and began moving my fingertips along the thin white keys.

My body told me to play but my mind told me to hold back. I gathered the strength to sit down on my mother's wooden stool and placed my hands fully on the key board. I sat there wasting away life's moments just staring at the piano. My lips slightly opened to allow a deep inhale as I gradually pressed down on the A minor key. A grand hum came from the instrument. My muscles began to relax as I felt my heart gain satisfaction from the remarkable tone coming from below my very own fingertips. I began playing the keys to a song I always listened to after the crash. I haven't practiced in months yet the tune sounded incredible. I pushed my formerly new boundaries back and dared to let my voice call out.

Seconds later my voice was in rhythm along with the song. I slowly but surely began singing, "I will not make the same mistakes that you did. Ahahah. I will not let myself cause my heart so much misery. I will not break the way you did, you fell so hard. I've learned the hard way, to never let it get that far! Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk. Because of you I learned to play on the safe side so I don't get hurt. Because of you I find it hard to trust not only me, but everyone around me. Because of you I am afraid." I continued to sing my heart out but I could not help the tears that began flowing down my cheeks. "I lose my way and it's not too long before you point it out. I cannot cry because I know that's weakness in your eyes. I'm forced to fake, a smile, a laugh every day of my life.

My heart can't possibly break when it wasn't even whole to start with!" I repeated the first chorus and then began singing the words that spoke to me most. (I changed the words up a little bit.) "I watched you die, I hear you cry every night in my sleep. I was so young you should have known better than to leave me! And now I cry in the middle of the night for the same damn thing! Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk. Because of you I learned to play on the safe side so I don't get hurt. Because of you I try my hardest just to forget everything. Because of you I don't know how to let anyone else in. Because of you, I'm ashamed of my life because it's empty. Because of you, I am afraid. Because of you. Ahahah. Because of you. Hmm."

I sat there next to my mom's piano, the beloved item that used to bring our whole family joy, and let my solid tears fall upon its wooden terrier. Right then and there, I began the long process of letting her go.

That is until the door bell rang. Abruptly I stood up and swiped the tears of my face leaving all evidence behind me. "Alana! Open the door, I lost my keys!" I heard Jamie shout from the opposite side of the door. "I'm coming!" I hollered. I ran across the hallway and over to the front door to let Jamie in. "Thanks Lana," He said while walking through the door. Behind him were two people I would not have guessed to ever enter our household. "This Peter and Derrick, new friends of mine." "Hi," I stuttered. Here before my eyes were two of the Anthony brothers from school. They both walked in and followed Jamie and I to the living room. "Didn't I see you guys at school today?" I asked wondering why Jamie would be hanging out with younger kids. "Yes you did.

Derrick and I had to take care of a little business there today that's why you saw us. We both go to college with Jamie." Hmm, I wondered. What business could they possibly have to take care of at a high school? "Okay... well I'm going upstairs see you all later." I said while heading up the staircase. Wow Jamie already made some friends, good for him. I was lying on my bed thinking when I heard the familiar sound of a guitar. "Uh," I groaned. Jamie must be showing off his skills to his new "Friends". I pressed my pillow against my face and ears, trying to eliminate his music. Nothing was working so I decided to throw my head phones on and tune everything out. Eventually the distant music lured me into sleep and I found myself slipping farther and farther away from conciseness.

"Hey Alana wanna come to dinner with us?" I heard Jamie shout from downstairs. I was too tired to mumble let alone shout anything in reply. "Hold on guys let me go check on her," I heard Jamie say along with thumping coming up the stairs. My door slightly creaked open and Jamie's head popped in. "Hey sleepy head want to come to dinner with us?" He repeated. "I'm exhausted," I mumbled while lifting the sheets above my head. "Well dad is working late tonight, we have no groceries, and I don't think you've eaten a good meal in a while. So you are coming with us." Jamie demanded. "No, I am not. I am staying right here in my comfy bed!" I shouted. "I don't think so!" Jamie yelled while picking me up and throwing me over his shoulders. I began kicking and squirming, "Jamie let go of me!

God you need to stop working out at the damn gym!" I hollered. He just laughed and said, "I can't this is how I get the ladies sis." After making our way downstairs, my body still thrown over Jamie's shoulder, I noticed that Peter and Derrick were still here. Both the boys laughed when they saw me slung over Jamie like a helpless rag doll. Embarrassed, I let my head down in defeat. "Time to get you out of the house," Jamie said excitedly. "I'm gonna need a shot while being stuck with you!" I whispered mostly to myself. "Haha nope sorry no alcohol for you," I heard Peter say. (How could he hear me?) Haha yeah, I laughed to myself. We'll see about that.