Chapter Twelve Part II

Broken Keys

Chapter Twelve Part II

Dreaded Reality

My throat ached at the intensity of my scream. Loud piercing sounds echoed off of the forest walls and it took me a moment to realize that they were coming from me. My eyes remained on the dark frightening creature that stood right in front of my harmless body.

I barely had any time to exam it before the tall animal started creeping towards me, inching closer and closer. I held my hand up trying to keep it from coming any closer but a snarl erupted from its menacing jaws.

My fingers began trembling as the beast became close enough for me to feel its hot breath on my face. I stumbled backwards while trying to escape, my feet tripping over an old fallen branch.

The creature’s growls became louder and I used my elbows and legs to back up, trying to create as much distance as possible.

“Help!” I screamed with all the voice I could muster. “Someone please help me!”

No response. My pleas just seemed to aggravate the beast even more. I was going to have to get myself out of this situation.

I tore the branch up that was stuck to the ground and quickly through it towards the animal’s face. I wasn’t sure if I hurt it or not because I booked it out of there as fast as possible. My legs took enormous strides, trying to reach civilization in time before the creature caught up with me.

A loud howl arose throughout the forest and I knew the beast was following me. I heard its loud footsteps right behind me. I turned for just a brief second and saw the monster lurch up, milliseconds away from pouncing on me.  I fell back once again but was astounding to see another creature coming from the side. It jumped up as well and attacked the first beast in the nick of time before it landed on me. Sneers came from both of their mouths as they began to claw and nip at each other. My instincts told me to run and get the hell out of here but my mind was too captivated at what was going on.

Finally I awoke from my shock and stood up, slowly walking away from the scene before bolting away. I saw bright lights up ahead and continued to run towards them.

I fought my way through the thick underbrush and ended up back at the bonfire.

My eyes were burning from the sudden difference in lighting. Headlights from cars were lit up and surrounded the whole camping ground.

I heard my name being called and turned to see Derrick running towards me with an angry yet worried expression.

“Alana, Jesus where the hell have you been?” He yelled in anger.

“I-I got lost in the woods, looking for Taylor.” I replied with exhaustion threading my voice.

“I told you not to leave the camp grounds are you insane?” He shouted.

“No, while you were busy breaking up a brawl I was looking for a drunken girl who ran into the forest! I wasn’t going to let her wander off out there when she could get herself hurt. Lord have mercy, thanks for the concern.” I answered back angry.

I didn’t understand why my temper was so short at the moment. My body was begging for Derrick to come rescue us but unfortunately he did not show. But he couldn’t have known where I was. So why was I so upset?

I started walking up towards the cars. I needed to go home and rest. I needed to think and actually consider if what I really saw was real.

I left Derrick behind even though his protests almost convinced to let him take me home. For some odd reason I didn’t want to be stuck in a small car with him because something told me we would be doing a lot more than talking.

            Noah ended up taking me home and for that I was grateful. We were half way home when I decided to start questioning him. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy about what I had witnessed only minutes earlier.

            “Hey Noah,” I asked.

            “Yeah?” Noah smiled.

            “Do wolves live around this area?”

I know you all probably hate me for taking so long. I won't give you excuses because ya'll are better than that. Hopefully this appears to be long I liked how I ended it, do you? How does everyone feel about Alana's relationship with Derrick? Comments, votes, fan.

XOXO,

HaileyElizabeth