5 | i was squidward

5 | i was squidward

Song: Too Late To Say Goodbye by Cage the Elephant

Depicted Above: Zendaya Coleman as Alex Mendoza

|||

"Hey Al, I think I'll be able to make it to girls' night out after all," I declare, my face rising more into a smile as the seconds went by.

"I thought Sab said you couldn't?" Alex's face communicated confusion quite clearly. Her eyebrows pulled together, and the cogs inside her head were working furiously and overtime trying to figure out the sudden change in plans. I didn't blame her. It had been a while since I had unrainchecked my rainchecked plans.

"Cleared up my schedule. I really do need this time with ya'll. I miss our wild nights out," I replied in a genuine tone. "Plus... we haven't pulled a Marty-Alex operation in quite some time. Thought we could give that a shot, y'know?" My lips quirked into an ever growing smile.

When Madagascar, the movie, had first come out, Alex and I were pretty fucking obsessed. I mean who wasn't? Seeing as Alex and Marty were the best of buds and crazy as shit, we idolized their friendship. Alex always referred to me as Marty, and his personality did fit me quite well. Alex was quite obviously referred to as Alex, the lion. Marty-Alex operations, as we called it, were our secret little missions where I played as Alex's wingwoman in attempt for Alex to woo over a girl she was interested in. Clubs, parties, get-togethers... Marty-Alex operations took place in just about any social scene. Not only that, but Marty-Alex operations almost always rendered a success, and I mean obviously. Alex, the feisty fabulous lioness she was could pull any girl. Who could resist? Alex was simply amazing, and I really was so glad to be a important part of her life.

Alex flashed me a kilowatt smile as I could see in her eyes that she was reminiscing over our crazy fun Marty-Alex missions of the past. "We haven't done that in a while... Good times man. Good times..." Alex droned on with a pleasant expression.

As the bell rang signaling the end of the period, I collected my stuff and headed out. I really had to rush if I actually wanted to make it to fourth period on time.

"I'm so gonna find you a girl to hook up with on Saturday. Haven't lost my wingwoman charm. And never will," I called out knowing Alex was far behind and lax in packing up but still within earshot to register my words.

"I'm holding you to your words, Princess Leia. Don't let me down."

I hadn't so far.

I didn't plan on it yet.

I thrived under the challenges of a pressure.

Or maybe that's what I fooled myself into thinking all these times.

|||

"I'm so ready to get the fuck home," I grumbled under my breath.

It's not that today was extremely shitty. Everything was normal. Mundane. Nothing out of the ordinary really happened. Just my regular routine.

But everyday in this high school felt like a kick-in-the-ass typa day. It's just how high school worked.

Or at least for me it did.

The goal was to make it through the day.

Five times in a row.