31 | harold is so bougie

Song: Did It On'em by Nicki Minaj

Depicted Above: Diego Barrueco as Quinn Carter

|||

Both our laptops were propped on the only unused table in the library. Needless to say, our local library filled up fast—mostly by high schoolers and tutors.

"Didn't know I would be doing more research on top of the work I already do for school. Jesus, Quinn. I'm tired." I groan, which turns into a muffled yawn. My body was proof enough I was tired. My late nights weren't all too forgiving. With tests, quizzes, and projects being dumped during this time of the six weeks, it was a miracle I wasn't slipping during every class.

"Hey, I'm not the one who doubled the stakes and pay. This is on you. Now we have to successfully push this through." He raises his eyebrows to emphasize his points.

"Uh. My bad. Sorry for helping your ass out," I monotone though I'm not even close to mad. It was now an established fact that Quinn and I's conversations thrived on sarcasm, witticism, and insults. If it wasn't dry, it probably wasn't us.

"You need to watch your tone, young lady," he irritatingly imitates the snooty, annoying ass librarian who had it out for me the minute I got here.

"For the record," I defensively state. "I wasn't even talking that loud."

Quinn quirks one eyebrow up, challenging that. His mocha eyes glimmer playfully, and his half smile dangerously almost breaks through.

"Quinnnn, stop. You know I wasn't even. In fact," I turn the tables, "You," I point my index finger accusingly at him, "were most definitely talking louder than me. And she didn't say shit to you. Hrrmph." I cross my arms sitting back. I flick my nails. "Literally everyone was speaking louder than me, but noooo the noise level is my fault. It's fine. It's really fine."

Quinn chuckles at my mini rant, knowing sure as hell I didn't really give a shit about what the librarian said.

"I don't know, Leia..." Quinn stupidly muses, "I thought she was pretty nice. She even personally handed out the newly stocked bookmarks to us."

"Me," I correct. "Only you got one. She didn't give me one. And there's obviously a reason why. Check the back of it," I say boredly.

Quinn flips it onto the back, and his eyes as well as mine narrow in on the harshly Sharpied numbers. His mouth forms an 'o'. The dumbass really should have saw it coming. "You just got lucky," he downplays how right I was.

"Riiiight." I roll my eyes playfully.

He throws the bookmark at me, aiming at my face, but air resistance has some other ideas, and instead, it lands near my arm. "Uh. No thanks. Pretty straight over here." I slide the bookmark back to him over the table, clearly having no use for it.

"What do I do? I don't want it." He overly dramatizes with his arms.

Hearing just those words, I can feel my heart slightly maybe perhaps on chance pick up a few beats. My breathing intake also seems to follow. I don't have an inkling of why as Quinn is just Quinn and nothing more. I quickly silence my brain not wanting to confront my own dangerous thoughts.