Chapter 7

Chapter 7

When they got to the hospital, the doctors ran some blood tests and did an ultrasound. "What if I lost the baby? What if I did something wrong? You were right. I wish I just listened to you. Why am I so stubborn? I should haven't gone out in the field with the boys. I should have just stayed at my desk, doing paperwork. What if I lost the baby because I've been putting too much stress on myself, catching killers." She said, crying.

*Flashback to 2 months ago*

"Kate. Why did you do this?" Rick asked in a stern voice. "Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I have to to stop doing my job and that I can't catch killers." Kate yelled. "You can do so from behind your desk. You don't have to be going out where the suspects are and running them down. You could have gotten killed today. I felt my heart sink when I saw him pull that gun on you. You and our baby could have died if it weren't for Espo and Ryan coming to the rescue. Do you really think it's a good idea doing this? Why are you putting you and our baby at risk?" Rick yelled back at her. "I'm going to continue to do what I do best. And that's putting killers behind bars. You are not going to stop me." She said and walked away from him.

*Present time*

Rick held her hand. "This is not your fault. You can't blame yourself. We have gone through so many difficult times and we always come out stronger in the end. It's going to be okay. Let's just wait until the doctor comes back with the test results before we start jumping to conclusions." Moments later, the doctor came back. "It looks like you are experiencing a placenta previa, which is when the placenta covers the cervix either partially or completely and in your case it is partially. This is what is causing the bleeding you are having. This is rare to happen and we're going to prescribe you medication to prevent premature labor which will also help with the pain and bleeding. You are going to need to be on bed rest at home for a week. Your baby is perfectly healthy. She is going to be just fine. You're going to be uncomfortable which is why you need to be on bed rest. The bleeding could potentially go away on its own. We will be monitoring you when you go to your next visit. We recommend you to come back a week from today. Do you have any questions?" "No, thank you." Kate said. When the doctor left, she said to Rick, "I'm so relieved. Our baby is okay. That's all I needed to hear. She is healthy." Rick smiled.