Scared

Even with the warm feeling of Nicole next to me, I still woke up screaming, to the sound of fireworks.

Me and Nicole fell to asleep at only 2 o'clock in the afternoon. So, waking up in the depth of night was horrifying. I knocked over a lamp, trying to turn on a light.

Nicole managed to calm me down, I she ran to the light switch, then to my side.

"Baby, HEY, they were fireworks, no guns. I'm here, no one else."

That night, I remember weeping into Nicole's arms. And, many nights continued with the pattern of this. I was scared to sleep, the constant nightmares came back. I refused to see a doctor or anyone who could try to help. Nicole decided to take some time of work to try to care for me, which made it better but, made me feel worthless.

"I don't want to go to sleep." I told Nicole, which she knew this.

"I know, baby. Just fall asleep in my arms, I won't let go."

It was strange, in our relationship, I often was the one to hold her in my arms, to be the strong one, who held tight. But, she took my place.

I felt her kiss my neck in a comforting fashion as her grip became tighter.

"I'm sorry." I paused. "For you having to deal with me...I should be stronger then this."

"I don't know if you knew this." Nicole whispered. "But, when you first got to the hospital, you died." Her voice croaked and I broke from her grip to look at her. "And, you just came back, no one had an explanation, they just called it a miracle, but you were in a coma. The doctors said that they didn't think you would ever wake up." She paused again, to choke back tears. "I was going to find away to get us married, so I could unplug the machine." She started crying. "Don't tell me you aren't strong, because watching you lay there, knowing the last words you said to me weren't, "I love you", was hardest thing in this world. You're, hurt. Not broken. Waking up in the middle of the night is a helluva lot better then watching you motionless every other day."

And after that night, I went to therapy and worked hard at getting better. I got a job and into college to become a therapist, because that was the only thing that made sense to me. And, life became better. I slept comfortable in Nicole's as she did mine. And, I was missing something.

"How much does this one cost?" I asked as I pointed to the the diamond ring, with curved band with a diamond resting in the middle.

"With your budget of $1000, it's $1,200 but, I think I could drop it."

I smiled at the lady who helped me with the ring. She was pretty, and very business like. (with boobs that were obviously fake)

"I'll take it."

And so, we went through the transaction. "Will it be a big proposal?"

"Well, I was just thinking about it...should it?"

"Well, depends on your girlfriend, honey." She said, as she handed me the ring, which I stuck in my pocket.

"I think nice and simple would be perfect."

"You're fiancé, not mine."

I said goodbye and left, heading for home.

Maybe just some dinner, some simple kissing and just propose.

So, I went home and started on spaghetti, which was the easiest thing to make. I figured I had a good hour before Nicole came home from work, until I heard the door open.