Nervous

I sat on the same bench as I always did. The one on the bridge sidewalk with a view of the river below. It was gorgeous. And, my stupid self B it's Nicole to come. And nervously, I pulled out a cigarette. I wasn't a smoker, just someone who need something to them down. And, I didn't want to go have sex or drink a fifth of vodka. I slowly took another drag as my thoughts continued.

She had to know it was me. But, that wasn't Nicole. The first time she had a one night stand, she thought for sure she was pregnant. When she realized it was a false alarm, she stepped down and didn't do it again. I needed to now what happened. I probably should have let her explain. Hell, maybe it was just a simple experiment gone wrong. Who knows?

"You know, smoking kills."

I looked over to Nicole who sat close to me, not as much as normal.

"I know that...I just do it when-"

"When your nervous, I know."

I nodded and sighed. "I need an explanation..."

She leaned back. "We can give you that."

I took a long drag. "Then go."

She looked at me with hurt in her face, I went to apologize, but she started speaking. "I went upstairs to fine you and Carmen ran passed...she said you were a selfless asshole. So, I went into the room. You were barely dressed so, I helped you with that, th-"

"Ok...wait, a minute. I didn't force you into anything, right?" I said, praying to god I didn't cross a line.

She shook her head no, and continued. "You said you didn't want to go home, so I told you that I would take you to a motel. You agreed and I took you there....and you didn't seem drunk. Buzzed but, not drunk."

She looked at me. "You didn't take advantage of me, Nicole?"

She shook her head. "No."

"So, it was me that made a move on you?"

She looked down nervously. "No, that was me."

I nodded and looked at the concrete. I went to say something but, she continued. "You somehow brought the cooler."

I laughed. "I took big, giant, blue one in living room?"

She nodded and laughed. "Uh, anyway, you told me that we had to drink to celebrate the moment." She paused. "So, we drank for a while., I was buzzed and things got blurry. I made, another...move. Then, we kissed and went to..." She paused again. "Bed..."

I nodded. "So, in the morning you didn't care to tell me?"

She shook her head. "I woke up in the morning and just went straight for the shower. I called your number from the note and when you answered I didn't know what to do."

I sighed. "Why didn't you tell me then?"

"I thought you knew. You told me all kinds of things."

"What kind of things."

"How, you've always had a thing for me...and how that one day we kissed...you wanted me to kiss back." She paused. "Then when you told me you wanted to celebrate...it was because you finally found someone else to fall I love with."

"Oh." Was all I could say.

We look at each other for a moment. Silence hang in the air except the sound of birds and distant cars. We were all alone, and my heart was just beating at a thousand miles an hour. She slowly leaned in and kissed me. I kissed her back, but before anything else could happen she pulled away.

"I'm gonna go." She said softly. I could feel her breath on my neck.

I nodded. And watched her as she walked away. I didn't know what to think besides the obvious. Was this the start to something? Did I finally have what I wanted for a long time? It was so much to handle.
I pulled out another cigarette and smoked it. Take drags, one after another. I realized in a short amount of time that the cigarette was gone. I went to the bridge railing and lit the packet on fire. I let it burn for a bit until I chucked it and watched it fall in to the river.

"Smoking kills." I muttered softly. And walked off.