chapter 9

"Shhhh!" King reprimanded as we walked through the shadows.

"Sorry!" I giggled.

We had set out at the most convenient time to find a place to stay and plan. Since night was when red eyes usually slept, it was a obvious choice. We were stalking down back alleyways with Kingston in the lead. I was trying to hold in my laughter as Almonzo and Zeke made weird, ugly faces, at a unknowing king.

A bubble of laughter escaped from my throat and king swiveled his head and caught Almonzo puling his earlobes down and sticking out his tongue while crossing his eyes.

"Almonzo! Act your age not you shoe size!" He scolded. The whole situation was funny, that a teenager was reprimanding a 50 something guy who was making funny faces like I toddler! I smiled in spite of Kingston's mood, but my smile quickly faded when I saw the red eye, bigger than the rest, with more scars and battle marks pacing the streets.

King noticed also and pointed silently to the more shadowed area of the ally. We all moved as quickly and as silently as we could but Zeke made a fatal mistake. He tripped and fell with a thud, spewing gravel down the road. The sound echoed in the otherwise quiet town. The big red eye spun to face us, its eyes searching the darkness for movement. Zeke wisely stayed flat on the ground and the rest of us backed into the shadows. I backed against a body and I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I assumed it was Kingston, but when the rough hand went over my mouth and the creature tightened its grip on my arm, I knew for a fact it wasn't Kingston.

The body dragged me back and back, further from safety. I started to panic and my heart sped up.

This was what I imagined kidnapping like. A unknown person dragging you away from the people you love, never seeing them again and not being able to do a thing about it. Where was the laughter from before? Heck, I'd even settle for kings harsh scoldings. The darker it got the more scared I became. I felt this powerful need to be with king, Zeke, and Almonzo. I let my body go limp so the creature would think I had fainted. He pulled me along faster and couldn't help  think but how dumb he was.

In the movies the hero Always "faints" and while the attacker lowers its guard the hero strikes.

But then again, ravenous, cave-dwelling rabies-infested beasts don't usually watch Disney do they?

Without warning I stomp on the monster, pinch its skin hard, and jerk away all at once. He loosens his hold on me and grabbed his foot, howling in pain. I spot a knife on its belt and grab it before it can.

I press the knife to the soft skin of its throat and he quickly straightens up, looking down the long blade. I study him and try to make out his features. He's actually quite attractive, and I try to tell myself he's on the wrong side. Shaggy hair as black as ink. So black its almost purple. A sharp nose and a defined jaw. He had a athletic build and he was easily 6 foot.

He smirked and raised his hands in mock surrender. "Easy there, princess! I do rather like my throat!" He said in a deep voice.

"Did you seriously just say 'rather'?" I asked incredulously.

He checked "I suppose I did."

"Who are you exactly and why were you kidnapping me?" I narrowed my eyes and slid the blade down to his chest.

"I'm blitz and I was trying to help you get away from the red eye." He answered cooly.

"So you save me by shoving you hand over my mouth and holding me in a death grip." I state sarcastically.

" Well we wouldn't want you to scream now would we?" He smiled.

If it wouldn't give us away I would have yelled right then and there to prove him wrong but even I wasn't that stupid.

He glanced down at the knife "do you uh...mind? Not pointing fingers or anything," he jabbed his thumb right at me " but I don't exactly trust crazy wacko over here with sharp objects."

"Crazy wacko!?" I nearly shriek.
He hunched over, looking around and put a finger on my lips. "Shhh! Do you have a death wish?" He asked.

"I think you do! You don't just grab a random girl, haul her into a dark ally, and call her crazy wacko! And who, by the way, carries a knife with them?"

He opened his mouth to answer but Kingston whisper-yelled my name and ran up to me. He stared, we must have been such a site, with me holding a knife against this, admittedly hot boys chest. I was inches away from his face, staring daggers at him and he had the nerve to smirk. I pulled the knife away and shoved blitz to the ground. I turned to king and smiled as brightly as I could. "Hello!" I said cheerfully.

He narrowed his eyes. "Who are you?" He asked with no emotion.

Blitz dragged himself up from the dirt and gave a award winning smile. "I'm blitz" he said holding his hand out to shake. "And who are you?"

Kingston took his hand and twisted it. Hard. "I'm Kingston."

Blitz winced but tried to keep the smile on his face. "Nice to meet you king!" He said with fake enthusiasm.

"Its Kingston." He said through gritted teeth.

"Dude. Chill. I'm on your side! And, bonus! I know where you can stay!" He said.

I could see the war going on in lings head. We really did need somewhere to stay...

"Fine" he grunted. He grumbled at we all followed blitz.

This better be good or I'll kill the "blitz".