Chapter 13

Carmen's POV

As I followed Kingston down the long seemingly endless hallway I let my thoughts wander.

Did we not have any clues as to where to find this book? I mean, we had to know something. I was really confused at this point. How did I fit into this weird scheme of magic.

Before all this happened I was normal. I came from a big loving family. I went to school, I wasn't popular nor unpopular. I struggled with math and aced the rest. I had lots of friends and on weekends we had sleepovers. I loved to draw, watch kids, and shop. Like any other girl I had a few crushes but nothing serious. And a decent sense of style.

I was ordinary. Nothing different, nothing weird.

But now, now I was caught in this whirlwind of strange people and creatures, all fighting for something. Good or bad. I didn't really know what to do despite kings leadership. I was no longer ordinary.

In all my confusion a voice broke through.

"Over here! Hurry!" King dragged me into a room and before I disappeared, I caught sight of large, leathery, black wings.

A red eye.

There were so many of them around it was like there were ten for each of us.

"Ow!" I muttered as Kingston hurriedly rushed me into the farthest corner. He pulled me into a sitting position. He scooted so close he was almost sitting on my lap.

"Where did they go?" I raspy voice came from right outside the door.

"They went in one of the rooms. I told you that!" Another voice said. I could hear them opening doors and closing them a second later.

I hunched my shoulders and shut my eyes. We had the costumes but how would we explain crowding in a corner?

I heard a door slam shut and I knew we would be next. I looked around in search for a better spot to hide but there was barely any furniture in the small space. I looked up in desperation.

If only we could hide on the ceiling!

I thought. I was panicked as they opened the door. Not wanting to see the hideous faces that would kill me I closed my eyes.

"This is the last door in the hall! Where did those creeps go!?" The voice said. I heard king whisper startled "Carmen! Wha...how?"

I peeked one eye open and almost screamed but king being one step ahead as always clasped a hand over my mouth. We were suspended in the air almost touching the roof. I quickly looked down, not making the sound watching the ugly creatures scan the room.

"Ahh!" The one said in disgust. "Just forget it. If they were intruders. They would never find it. He hid it too well."

It? What is it? Is it the kodex?

The red eyes left and closed the door. We silently fell to the ground.

I stood quickly and pointed a finger at Kingston who was still laying on the ground. "How did you do that!?" I whispered still fearing the red eyes were near.

"What do you mean me? How did you do that?" He said with a mixture of confusion and admiration on his tanned face.

"I think I would have known if I had just randomly floated in the air!" I whispered. He rolled his eyes. "Carmen, I've been a magician for 137 years! I know that i didn't fly."

I huffed and he dropped his voice so soft that I had to lean closer to hear.

"I think... that you've found you power"

***

Zeke's POV

Sorian eyes flared at the person on the phone. "Just,... just stop" and with that he snapped the phone shut.

Thinking fast, I turned quickly to Almonzo where he stood frozen and started up a fake conversation.

"So... those dressers. So dull right?" I said with fake distaste. I stared at him, hoping to get him to play along.

He gulped. "U-uh yea t-totally." He stuttered. Thankfully blitz entered the conversation.

"I don't know, I mean black is the new orange." I started at him. "Dude, its orange is the new black."

He shrugged and glanced at Sorian. The all business man was grumbling and tapping at his phone as he passed us. I thought we had gotten by when he suddenly stopped and turned around.

He glanced back and looked at us. "Who are you?"

Blitz the ever cool replied, "we're recently recruited." He shrugged as if it was no big deal.

Sorian slowly nodded. "Uh uh. I see" he said but I could tell he didn't believe us.

I swallowed. Almonzo started talking which was a very bad Idea "We uh, we were just uh, looking for uh, work" he said. "Uh" he added.

I mentally face palmed. Oh Almonzo. I loved ya buddy.

"Well we haven't found any so.. we'll just look downstairs. Thanks sir" blitz saved us.

We started to leave when he spoke. "There is no downstairs" he said evenly. "Go to the conference room. They'll find something for you there."

He eyed us suspiciously. "Of course, we'll just be going now... uh," Almonzo said nervously.

We nodded goodbyes and hurried away, turning a corner.

"Your smoother than extra chunky peanut butter" I muttered to them as we studied another map.

"Sorry" Almonzo apologized.

"Uh? Really that's all you got?" Blitz scowled. "He knows. You can tell."

We rounded a corner to the conference room and I was jerked roughly by a red eye.

"Hey! Stop!" I yelled struggling. Two other red eyes came from the dark room and grabbed blitz and Almonzo.

If only I could get my wand!

I was struggling so hard but the creatures iron grip dragged me further into the damp mildew smelling dungeon.