chapter 17

Zeke's POV

The next 10 minutes found us in a darkened room.

We were all standing around a ornately carved table as Aisling lowered the blinds, darkening the room further. She turned to king, Almonzo, and blitz.

"You'll have to leave. I can only have the twins." King nodded in understanding and started to pull the others toward the door.

"Aww, but I wanna see if their head explode!" Blitz whined. I smirked, he sounded like a child. King rolled his eyes. "They won't explode, now come on!" As king pushed his out blitz sent a peace sign to me and a wink to Carmen.

When the room was empty Aisling turned to us. "You first Zeke." I hesitated. I had to admit I was a little nervous about it but I had to. I had realized what that undefined feeling was when I had heard that Carmen had a power.

Jealousy

I was jealous that she had the awesome ability and here I was, lil brother in the corner. The only ability I had was defeating everyone in Doom on the Xbox. It was more than that though. As far back as I could remember, Carmen and I were the same. We always (well almost always) agreed on things and defended each other. We always told the secrets that nobody else knew. We bonded over people we hated. And when I heard that she had a power and I didn't, I knew that the "sameness" had stopped. So now I was ready to have my power.

Aisling sat me down on a chair and took my hands. "Before I begin, I need to know what your natural power is."

A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. "I don't have one" I said quietly "yet" I added quickly. Her face softened. "Then I cannot do it" she said simply.

My face fell. "Wh-what? Why?" Tears threatened to spill but I held them back. "What? Can you awaken my natural power? Do anything Aisling, I need this because if I don't get my powers..." I glanced at Carmen and Aisling's eyes held understanding as if she knew my motives. "I'm so sorry Zeke... I won't get my powers either" Carmen said firmly.

My head shot up. "No, this isn't about me, you need those powers so your going to get them. I'll leave now." And before Carmen could protest I walked out the door. I pinched the bridge of my nose, making the tears go away. I leaned against the wall and let out a rattling sigh.

"Your already done?' A voice asked. I turned and caught sight of Almonzo walking up the narrow hallway. I let out another sigh and tried to let my anger go. "No"

"Then why are you out here?"

I stared at him. "Oh." He said. "Natural powers, I see." He put a arm around me and patted my back.

"It gets better bud, it gets better." He said in a failing attempt to make me feel better.

I stared at my Nike's and hoped he was right.

***

Carmen's POV

"I can't do this." I shook my head. "Zeke wanted ur so bad, me getting powers would be like rubbing it in his face." I stood to leave but Aisling caught my hand and sat me back down.

"Carmen, I get it. You and your brother are close, you want to do things for each other, but right now its not about you. Zeke can be awakened later, but you need this right now not only to protect yourself but also to protect king, and blitz, Zeke, and Almonzo. They need this as well as you. So we're gonna do this. Ok?"

I silently nodded. "How many people have you awakened before?" She smiled sadly. "Many before you."

"Then why are we the only good magician? I mean, shouldn't there be more?" I asked. She nodded "your absolutely right Carmen. But some turn the the dark elders."

My brow furrowed. "Does everybody have the opportunity to be a magician?"

" Yes." She whispered. "Everybody had the gift, some people just never open it." She said sadly. She shook her head and held out her hands. "And now for your powers!" She smiled.

I gave her my hands abd let her awaken me. "Now close your eyes and clear your mind." She instructed. I closed my eyes and she started saying something in a language I never heard. I felt nothing for a long while except the fluttering of a thousand butterflies in my stomach. Then a sharp throbbing headache hit me hard. My stomach felt horrible as if I was going to vomit and I started to tremble as cold sweat trickled down my back.

"Stop!" I whimpered but no sound came out. I started begging for it to stop but my voice had vanished. My only comfort was a soft voice telling me it was almost over. My head pounded in my ears and my stomach lurched. Sweat ran into my eyes and just when the pain hit its peak, my world went black.

***
The first thing I heard were angry voices. I kept my eyes closed hoping to hear why they were fighting. My head still hurt though not as bad as before and I needed to eat badly.

"What did you do to her!?" My brothers voice screeched. "You took me away from my parents and siblings and friends and Carmen is the only person I have and now she's lying on a cot unconscious."

"Calm down dude, she's fine, it just takes a lot of energy." Blitz said.

"She'll be fine, you shouldn't worry, she actually did better than any other person I have awaken. Besides she should come to soon." Aislings Irish accent broke through.

Silence rang through the room and I groggily sat up. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Zeke was perched as close as he possibly could be to me, king was staring out the window, Aisling and blitz stood right above me. "Food?" I was surprised at how weak i sounded.

At the sound of my voice king whipped his head around and hurried to me. He plopped down and grabbed my hand. "Almonzo is making dinner, how do you feel?' He asked worriedly.

Blitz looked uncomfortably at kings and i hands. "I feel like there's a bunch of tiny ninjas taking out their wrath inside my head."

A small smile curled at the end of kings lips. "That's usually how it goes."

Almonzo pranced in. "Dinners ready!" He called. We all headed into the kitchen talking about how hungry we were.

---------------------------------------------

Wow! On chapter 17 already!? That was fast. Well we have lots more chapters coming in the future so.... happy readings! ♥