Chapter 18: (Happy) Birthday

Adelaida Geronimo changed her relationship status from ‘single’ to ‘engaged’

“Okay na?” Rachelle, upon seeing what’s on Sarah’s phone screen, grabbed it away from her, which earned a “hey” from her. “You seemed not worried about the people on the hall, miss. They are waiting for you.”

She tried getting her phone back by standing and grabbing Shin’s arm, yet her hands are too fast. “Shin, alam mo, malayo pa yung time oh.” She looked at her wrist watch. “Look! It’s just 5:48!”

Shin put her hand with the cellphone behind her, while she grabbed Sarah’s arm with the watch with her free hand. “Sarah? 5:48? Can you see that second hand moving?”  She brought it down and looked at her own watch. “Yeah, well it’s already 5:55 on mine. I think you need TIME to prepare since five minutes na lang you’re gonna come outta here.”

“Shin,” She grabbed her phone from behind Shin. “I’m ready. Kanina pa.” Then she sat down again and continued playing with her phone.

“Well, I could see that.” Shin went near to the mirror in front of Sarah and looked at her. “You are wearing a white knitted dress, I could see that… Tumingin ka rin sa kama.” She pointed at the gown lying on it.

She followed her order, and looked back again to her friend. “Yes, I’m looking!”

“Sarah!”

“I’m not gonna wear that!” Though, she looked at Shin with admiration. She looked slim with her carnation pink glittered tutu-like knee-length skirt and spaghetti fuchsia shirt. It was nicely paired with a majestic bun.

“You must!”

She looked back on the gown lying on the bed. Compared to Shin’s, the skirt was feet-length and the shirt was long sleeves to where the arm part is translucent with pink gems. “Ayoko talaga! Simple lang naman din yung mga suot ng mga guests e.”

“Eh palibhasa,” She looked back at Shin. “Maaga ka sumilip. They are not guests, Sars. Sila yung mga waitress natin. Kung alam mo lang, NAAAAAPAKAformal ng mga tao sa baba. Kung tutuusin mas bongga pa outfit nila sa’yo no.”

Then they heard a knocking on their door. Shin presented to open the door, which Sarah took advantage of raising her both feet on the chair nearby as she played Temple Run Brave on her iPhone.

Gerald in a fancy tux immediately showed up as Shin opened the door. “Hi Ge, zup?”

She earned a smile from him. “Hi Shin. Si Laida ba, ready na? The party is about to start. Sabi rin kasi ni Tita ieescort ko sya e.”

Shin moved sidewards for him to see Sarah. They both did a facepalm.

He just run his fingers through his hair. “Sige na Shin, ako na bahala sa batang ‘to. You go assist the guests.”

“Hay, I’m glad you came, Ge. Sige, I’ll see you there.” She looked at Sarah. “Sars!”

“Oh,” expressed Sarah without looking at them.

“I’ll go na. I beg you to wear your gown!!!”

“Yeah yeah..” She said while she’s still busy playing.

When Shin had exited the room, Ge entered quietly and closed the door without a single noise. She was just too busy to play that she didn’t recognize Ge was present. He just leaned on a nearby wall surface behind Sarah and looked at her with cross arms.

“So.” He looked at his watch as he saw Sarah flicked in surprise. “It’s already 5:58 Madame and you’re still not wearing your gown.” He slowly walked near her as she did slowly look at his direction. “Ano, pati sa sarili mong party magpapakaparty pooper ka?”