Explanation

"I see that you haven't been filled in about the job, have you?" Ginoza questions, giving a cold stare

"Not a whole lot. I mean, the Police catch the bad guys and save the day. Though I guess I hadn't expected that there'd be quite a bit of paperwork, as well," Chiharu says, somewhat smug.

"As an Investigator for the PSB, you'll be working alongside Enforcers. They're nothing but ruthless criminals. Instead of being locked in a cage, SYBIL allows them to be used as hunting dogs. Don't get too attached. They aren't capable of understanding," he lowers his voice with each word as if it were leaving a sour taste in his mouth.

"I see..." She replies, processing the information that she was given, as well as trying to remember their names.

They arrive at the crime scene. Chiharu steps out of the vehicle and watches as one by one the Enforcers step out from a large, black vehicle. Chiharu's eye pinpoints Kogami as he strolls out, hands in his pockets.

Criminals as hunting dogs? Chiharu ponders.

They find the body displayed upon a park bench, carefully sitting upwards as if she were still alive. Stab wounds covered her abdomen at random, with no rhyme or reason.

"These cuts were made with a bigger blade, and they're more sporadic. The other victim's wounds were comprised mostly in the abdomen. But marks like this," Chiharu pulls on a few latex gloves, pushes a piece of hair out of her face, and points at a laceration. "On the arms are different. There's also slight bruising along the forearms. Meaning... The victim was still alive when she died. She fought back, unlike the others who may have been unconscious when they were mutilated."

"I wonder why she was the only one to fight back. If the others were unconscious when they were killed, what makes this one different?" Kogami speaks out. "Perhaps this victim meant something different to him than the others."

"That's what I was thinking. Ginoza, we'll need the lab to analyze under her fingernails. If she fought back, she may have a sample of the killer's DNA under her nails," Chiharu suggests.

"Right." He nods. "Let's spread out and check for more evidence before we head back."

"Yes, sir." They say, almost in unison.
---
Chiharu treads carefully behind Kogami, as she was assigned to keep an eye on him and an Enforcer named Masaoka.

"For your first day, you're pretty good, rookie," Masoaka speaks up.

She almost freezes, not sure if she should speak to him, recalling what Investigator Ginoza had told her.

"Let me guess. The Investigator told you we were heartless criminals," Masoaka projects, then laughs. "You don't need to worry about us, Miss. We aren't as heartless as Ginoza says."

She looks up and nods. "I guess you're not."

He grins, patting her on the back with his metal hand. "I won't let anything happen to ya', either, so don't be scared to do your job."

"Thank you, sir," she says.

She wanders off, though not too far, from the Enforcers. Her attention was drawn to a strange piece of metal that glimmered in the sunlight. Her hands tighten around her Dominator, examining her surroundings before bending down to check it out.

"What is this..." She mumbles.

"Have you found something?" A rough, baritone voice asks behind her.

The voice startles her, and she almost loses her balance in her squatted position. Chiharu stands up and straightens her jacket, turning to face Kogami.

"Sorry I jumped. I didn't expect anyone behind me," she says sheepishly, and tightens her ponytail. "Yeah, check this out."

Hidden beneath some shrubbery, the handle of a knife similar to the first was discarded.

"Good eye, Investigator," he says.

They didn't find anything else that would be much use, and it would be a day or so before the lab would give the results for the DNA sample