Chapter 25: Free Time Before Home Time

Before hometime, all us Malayan students had free time all over the campus, we could go anywhere-the library, cafeteria, any classroom, the batch representative room, any of the clubs, or even the gym-we went to the gym because the boys had practice with Coach for the Malaya University Beagles' basketball team who was also our P.E. teacher. Before practice, we all talked on the benches. "So Celine, Yaya ka"? Dominic asked me. "Oo, Yaya ako." "Sinong alaga mo"? Enrique asked me. "Little sister ni Wacky, Ryzza." "Talaga"? Dominic asked. "Oo, talaga." Coach arrived. "Vega, Manansala, Zaragosa, you 3 are the earliest, salamat sa inyo, go get changed now go, go, go"! The boys went to go get dressed. While me, ate Clarisse, and Nina sat on the benches going to watch the boys' basketball practice. There were 2 Malayan basketball teams that would play against each other. They were both the Malaya University Beagles, but one team was Team A and the other was Team B. Joaquin, Dominic, and Enrique were all on Team B. Team A had the white uniform (stated as "light" on the scoreboard,) and Team B was purple so they were described as the "dark" team on the scoreboard. I could see that our 2 coaches had favouritism in Joaquin, because surprisingly, our 2 P.E. coaches referred Joaquin Manansala as the "Sharp Shooter." I was so surprised watching Joaquin on the benches together with Nina and ate Clarisse. Joaquin was truly a "Sharp Shooter," he could shoot the basketball into the net from very far distances, and could often shoot 3-pointers. "Huy Nina, ang galing si Joaquin, sharp shooter talaga si Joaquin," I told Nina. "Hehe yeah, sharp-shooter sha talaga, salamat." While the coaches and team members referred to Joaquin Manansala as the "Sharp Shooter", they referred Dominic Zaragosa as the "Point Guard King." I agreed, Dominic was an excellent point guard for the Malaya University Beagles Team B. He always followed the game plan, and cooperated with what the coaches wanted. Enrique Vega was just one of the normal players on Team B. Dominic was following the game plan, but was hardly focusing as Point Guard. Dominic kept staring back at me. He kept looking towards me from where me, ate Clarisse, and Nina were sitting on the benches. "Celine, Dominic mapigil ang hinahanap pabalik sa iyo," Nina told me. "Alam ko," I told her. It was true. Whenever Dominic was running forwards and even backwards, he kept looking at me. "Celine, sa tingin ko Dominic ang may gusto sa iyo." "Siya ay na-ligaw ka"? Nina asked. "Ay Nina, hindi ah"! "Hindi ko alam kung bakit siya mapigil ang pagtingin sa akin, ngunit hindi siya ay nabanggit kahit ano tungkul sa paggawa ng ligaw." "Kami lamang mga kaibigan." I told Nina. "O Celine, siyempre siya tumatagal ng panahon," Nina said. Dominic, who was the Point Guard supposed to be watching if the team followed the Game Plan, was doing his job, and standed under the net to watch if everyone was following. While Dominic was under the net in position, Joaquin came running and threw the ball, but before it landed in the net, a player from Team A accidently lost balance. Suddenly, the player on Team A lost balance, and pushed Enrique who was in front of him, then Enrique pushed Joaquin who was in front of him, then Joaquin pushed Dominic who was in front of him. The 4 boys all got pushed and fell down. Everyone on the benches was cheering including me, ate Clarisse, and Nina, because the scoreboard showed that Team B won and beat Team A, but everyone stopped as we all noticed the 4 boys laying on the ground unconsious. We all ran, me, Nina, and ate Clarisse rushed to the basketball court. We all looked down as the coaches and also us 3 helped them all up. "Joaquin, ok ka ba"? Nina asked, concerned, hugging Joaquin while he was scratching his head with one hand. "Medyo ok..." Joaquin fainted to the ground. Nina covered her mouth with her hands, as she cried. Tears ran down her face while me and ate Clarisse stood beside her. The coaches rolled Joaquin, Enrique, and Dominic onto those emergency boards where they would lay your body on top of it and carry you. The bell rang. "Coach, paano si Joaquin, Dominic, at Enrique"? I asked our coach, also our dance P.E. coach. "Kami ay pagpunta sa tumagal ang mga ito sa ospital." "Kami ay pagpunta sa tumawag sa kanilang mga magulang sa lalong madaling panahon." "Maraming salamat coach," Nina said while she cried. The bell had rung. "Sige, ingat kayo Celine at Clarisse." Nina went home ahead. "Sige, ingat ka Celine." Ate Clarisse said as she left the gym to head home. I quickly ran and left the gym to go outside to the front of the school, where Goma, Ryzza, and Abigail would always wait for me and Joaquin in the van. I started crying as tears ran down both my cheeks, I knew that Ryzza and Abigail would be very scared for their kuya Wacky. I knocked on the van door. I slid it open. "Celine, anong nangyari"? "Bakit ka umiiyak"? "Kung saan ay Joaquin"? "Sa panahon ng isang basketball game lang bago ang kampanilya ay krusada lamang, Joaquin, ang kanyang 2 kaibigan, at isa pang manlalaro mula sa iba pang mga koponan ay nahulog down sa isang alog, lamang sila ay rushed sa ospital na may mga coach," I told Goma, Abigail, and Ryzza as they were shocked and concerned. "Celine, hop into the van." "Bago simulan namin sa pagmamaneho, tatawag ako Ma'am Kris upang ipaalam sa kanya alam, gagamitin namin matugunan ang kanyang sa ospital." Goma explained. I quickly hopped into the van. "Hello, Ma'am Kris, meron isang accidente, Joaquin at 3 iba pa nakakuha dadalhin sa ospital, sila ay nakuha ng isang pagkakalog," Goma told Ma'am Kris over the phone. "Ano"? "Makikita ko bang iwan work, makikita ko bang makita mo doon." "Sige Ma'am, ingat ka." We drove to the hospital.