•Chapter 13•

After school, I find myself in an office chair in front of Grey.

"What?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"I said,'Julianna, would you like to come to a barbecue at my house on Saturday.' It'd just be some people. Important people to me. So, you should come, of course." Grey smiled.

We were sitting in his office again. This time the office was colder than before. I shivered half wondering if it was okay to suddenly tell Stacy to crank up the heat.

"I mean," I nervously laughed, i was uncomfortable with the question. I was afraid I'd embarrass myself in front of people I didn't know. "My brain could just be fried because of the physi- uh-science test I just took but are you sure you're okay? Grey, I'm pretty sure I'd embarrass myself in front of everyone there."

Grey smiled. "Nonsense. Family doesn't judge family. Plus, they'd think your just one of Ryan's friends."

"But I'm not one of Ryan's friends..."

"I mean, it'd be great to get out of the house and Ryan refuses to go so..."

"Ryan's not going?" I asked him.

Why in the world would Ryan be out of the house on a day where his relatives would come to see him?

"He's going to a party. I'm surprised you weren't going. When I asked if you had any plans, I thought you'd say yes."

"I'm not one for partying," I told him. "Step monster doesn't like me being in places where they take pictures and I honestly don't care if I do or don't but eh." I shrugged.

Grey scratched his red beard. He copied my shrug with a carefree smile. "Eh. Eh? That's it?"

"Well," I started a serious conversation, which is something I do with Grey and only Grey. "Amy has control over the house, right? I come home when I please and she doesn't seem to care. Even with that... Ugh. It's complicated."

Grey leans over and gives me a look when he wants me to tell him more. The look he's giving me now is the one I've been seeing time and time again. It's his tell when he's annoyed with me. I sigh.

"Amy lives in my house, Grey. She came in and redecorated everything. She took over. Everything is hers now."

Grey shakes his head. "I'm-I'm not sure if I understand, Julianna. Why do you do what she says? As your principal, I'm proud that you're respecting your guardian. As someone who cares for you like a father should care for his daughter, what the hell is she giving to you that still makes you do what she says?"

If Amy has everything she wanted since took my dad away from me, why do I do everything she says?

For some reason, it was frustrating me that I couldn't come up with an answer other than she didn't change the locks on me.

"My dad....?" I was going to say something else but nothing came to mind. I felt on the brink of tears. Why couldn't the words come out? Why was it so hard?

"Could it be that you want to see your family happy again?" Grey whispers, his caring eyes shifting between my own. "I notice how you're keeping everything like nothing's changed..."

I get it. He's trying to help but I'm...lost.

I shake my head at him. I don't think that's it. "I don't think I have a family that could be named a family anymore. When my mom left me with my dad, my dad seemed fine with taking care of me. Then he met Amy and he showed more love to her and Emily than he ever did for me."

Something like an alarm was going off in my head. I was opening myself up too much, even if it's just Grey. I didn't need to just burst into tears;I've done that enough times before.

A spike of fear started from the pit of my stomach to my heart and back down again. The feeling of running was coursing through my veins. I suddenly wanted to be gone. I wanted to be out of this room. I really really wanted to-

"Run away. "

My head snapped up. I turned to the door. Ryan was standing there.

Cold icy water flooded over my body like I stepped through a waterfall. The fear was getting bigger. But what was I scared of? For some reason, tears were gathering around my eyes. "How long have you been standing there, Ryan?" I whispered. My alarms were ringing.

Something inside me whispered, "Run."

I was breathing heavily. My stomach dropped like I was on the rollercoaster. I heard a chair crash against the wall, I jumped, and Grey was yelling at Ryan.

Ryan was watching me from the door. He was confused."Why is she-"

"Don't step any closer!" Grey scolded at him. He turned to me and grabbed my hand. "Julianna. I need you to calm down..."

I pulled my hand from his. "I-I can't be here..." I kept repeating, my eyes on the door. I needed air.

"Julianna. You're safe. No one is going to hurt you." Grey repeated.

My hands were shaking. I wrapped them around my arms. I tried focusing on Grey's voice but it was getting harder and harder.

Ryan stepped up. "Julianna. It's okay. You have nothing to worry about. You're with Uncle Grey. Just take a deep breath and relax."

I had the urge to throw up but my throat closed.

Miles yelled for Stacy as I backed up against the wall. Stacy ran in and took one look at me. "Oh, honey." She whispered. "It's okay. You're okay."

"What's happening? Unc?" Ryan asked and I wanted him out. I wanted them all out.

I heard only a whisper before I buried myself in Stacy's hug.

"Quiet Ryan." Grey scolded. "Julianna's having a panic attack."