•Chapter 26•

AFTER YEARBOOK PICTURES WERE TAKEN, we were all asked to go to the auditorium. Each student was given a sheet with all the senior events that were happening today. Underclassmen were shuffling in the hallways and kept glancing at the students who were overdressed for a school day. I ignored all the catcalls from people who've ignored my existence until now.

I didn't have time to focus on the fact that maybe I should've brought a bigger jacket to hide in the big sized sleeves. My nerves were jumping all over the place already and I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings anyway. Ryan kept asking if I was okay but I couldn't answer him. I was nervous. After I took my pictures this morning, I checked my emails and saw three emails.

They were from the last three colleges I applied to.

We were headed for cap and gown measurements. After lunch, we had ring measurements to look forward to. This was making graduation real. We were on our way in when Grey pulled us aside.

I followed without saying a word.

"Julianna? Are you alright?" Grey waved his hand in front of my face to see if I was paying attention.

I nodded with eyes that were unfocused. I have emails of the colleges...

Ryan pats my head and I swat his hand away. I give him a warning by saying, "You know I hate it when you do that."

Noticing that got me out of my daze, Grey laughed. "What's the matter, Jones?"

"I got my emails this morning," I told him, looking at the dark screen of my phone.

"I have a meeting right now. I'm not sure if..." Grey nodded. "Come to my office after the assembly. Bring your lunch too." Grey lifted my chin up and told me, "Think positive."

I doubted I could but I nodded as Grey turned to leave.

I pointed at Ryan as I walked into the open doors of the auditorium where the people who were measuring us were waiting. "Ryan."

Ryan, who was fixing the tie Grey gave him, looked up at me. "What did I do this time?"

I blew my bangs over to the side while smiling, "Nothing yet. Do you need help? You look like you're struggling."

Ryan nods but keeps walking. "At lunch." He says as he introduces himself to the woman in charge of the graduation gowns.

I glance down at my phone. What if I didn't get accepted for any of them?

I was shaking while opening up the email app. Should I wait to be with Grey and Ryan? People usually open them while on Skype with their parents, right? If I open it now, it would be just like how I started: alone. Maybe I should wait until I am alone.

I put my phone away and walked up next to Ryan.

He raised his eyebrows as if he was asking if I was ready. No, Ryan, I am, in fact, not ready. I'm not ready to scream in joy or cry in humiliation. If I get into any of the three colleges that are left,  that means I did it. I passed. I.. I could leave Amy's house.

If I failed at getting in, what would I do? What would I do? Where would I go?

"Hey." Ryan tapped my shoulder. I blinked. "Don't look like you're about to cry. Graduation is not here just yet."

I pull on the cuffs of the jacket again. "I'm not crying. I'm worrying."

"Don't worry." He sings. "Be happy."