•Chapter 22•

I didn't want to ruin the day more than I've already.

I kept to myself, which is just to tell you how quiet I was. I didn't need to look at Ryan to know how horrible he feels. I still not sure why I feel like I did something wrong, but I know that Ryan's change of mood is my fault.

I was staring at my shoes, taking one step at a time, wanting to look up and say to forget about everything, and going back to Amy's. It would have been better to just stay in my room. I stuck my hands into the pocket of my jeans. Why did I have to ruin it?

Whatever "it" was.

I felt Ryan wanting to say something and looked up at him.

"I...understand what you feel, Julianna. I can see you beating yourself up but there's no need to. If you don't like me that way, that's fine. "

I was confused. Did he like me?

I gave him a look to explain but we were both fumbling over words and blushing as red as tomatoes. He's the one who said it! I didn't imagine it. I'm not that zoned out. I had to take a deep breath. I wasn't going to give myself a panic attack by thinking "what does that make us?". It wasn't worth it to ruin the moment.

Ryan was full on blushing and nodded towards an ice cream stand. "Caramel on a chocolate cone? I feel like you're the type of girl to like that kinda thing. "

Giving him a nervous laugh, I step up in front of the many flavors. "I'm more of a rocky road girl but cookie dough? Hmm. I won't go that crazy." I point to the grape sherbet. "That, however, is heaven. Highly recommend it. "

Ryan, sensing my discomfort, smiles and steps up as well. "You try cookie dough, and I'll try that." He also points to the purple ice cream.

I squint my eyes mockingly. I let out a sigh and turn to look at the cashier. "I was promised Dippin Spots but I'll take it. "

Ryan orders before I can. "A cookie dough ice cream on a chocolate dipped cone for the little lady-"

"You're a couple inches taller than me!" I interrupt.

"And a Barney colored ice cream for me on a vanilla cone, thank you. " Ryan finishes, with a smile as bright as the sun.

The cashier gives us both a look before she scoops up the cones and hands it to us. I give her a smile and thanked her as we turned to leave. Ryan gave me a look before he tried his ice cream. When he said he liked it and was surprised that he did, I took a shot with the cone in my hand. I told him there wasn't much of a difference and laughed when he huffed in disapproval. He said it wasn't a fair trade.

I stopped at one point to look at all the stores lined up on Jewel Beach. This was home. This is where I have lived for years. It disappointed me that I wasn't happy.

Ryan muttered. "You are beautiful."

"Yeah right," I muttered, turning around and finishing my cone.

Taken aback, he persists. "You are."

"I can assure you, Ryan, I am not."

"I bet you're as beautiful as your mom."

"As my mom was, Ryan. I can't hold a candle."

"Julianna. You are. You really are."

Looking him in the eyes, I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't like Christina who denies it in order for him to continue. I just genuinely didn't believe him. Nothing about me is as beautiful as my mother was. I am not pretty, or cute, or beautiful. I was just average if that.

"Thank you," I tell him because I wanted him to know that no one has ever told me that with full sincerity. "You sound like you mean it."

I didn't want to tell him a small, microscopic part of me was telling me to add in that guys that are good looking are also great actors.

He asked me to turn around. "I like you."

I replied. "I... don't hate you."

Ryan was hurt. It hurt me. "Don't hate me? What do you mean?"

I wiped my hands on my jeans, my cone was long gone. I sighed and looked around boardwalk again. Every time I'm here, something always happens.

"Ryan." I took a step back. "I don't believe it. I just don't. I'm not the type of person that is thought of in any... romantic way. I don't hate you. I may have thought you were annoying at first. Calling me Robot. But, you've changed- with me at least. Things are different. I don't like people. So, I don't hate you."

Ryan caught onto what I was saying. "Julianna. First, I know how I acted. Yes, it was rude of me and I am so sorry. I didn't know what you were going through. I didn't know what anyone was going through. All I wanted was a chance to date Christina. But Uncle Grey was right. I only focused on her but when I was put on the project with you..."

Against what I wanted, I started tearing. "Don't finish that. I won't be able to handle it. I don't want to raise my hopes and get hurt, Ryan."

Ryan shook his head like I wasn't getting it. He held out his hand again and I placed my hand on his without a second of hesitation. "I'd give you full permission to do anything to me if I ever hurt you." He leant down to give a kiss on my wrist and smiled. " How did you become the utterly amazing person that you are? If you really don't believe you're beautiful, I just have to give you the same damn reality check you gave me. I wouldn't lie about that. I think you are amazing and deserve so much, Julianna. Sometimes it confuses me to no end how I say I loved Christina for years when you come in and make me feel like I'm drowning."

"You really are too good to be true, Ryan." I pulled him closer.

"Julianna Jones, I have to thank you for all you have done for me." He breathed.

I turn to my left. The water was turning orange and pink with hints of purple. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. I was speechless.

"Ryan. The sunrise. It's 5:25." That's all I tell him as I tug on his arm. I felt him kiss my forehead. I leant in closer to give him a hug. "Thank you for everything, Ryan. I'm glad I'm here with you."

"It'd be kinda weird to be with anyone else. I kinda just said I chose you over every other girl in the world." Ryan laughed.

I slapped his arm, shivering. "Don't be so stupid."

His jacket was wrapped around me in a heartbeat. "Can't help it."