•Chapter 27 Part 1•

On our way back from lunch, Ryan was quiet. I didn't like it.

"So, presentations for the projects are soon...? Time really flew by, huh?" I stretched my arm out in front of me. It was a habit I could never break. I always did it when I was nervous.

He was timid and it made me uneasy. What did I do this time?

"I guess," Ryan shrugged. "I mean, we haven't worked on the project together for a while now. I finished my slides of you, though."

"Great."

"Isn't it?" He sounded hollow like his mind wasn't participating in the conversation. He realised how he said what he did only to smile my way but it's not like the one I'm used to seeing. "Grey said Christina wasn't in it anymore but we already knew that. We'll get full credit for our parts."

Part of me felt happy because I was finishing the last project of the year. The other part of me was wondering why I was so mad that Ryan was faking a smile. He shouldn't have to- not after everything.

There shouldn't be a reason for him to feel depressed and still have to share a fake smile.

I bite my lip, giving what I was thinking a second thought before I stop Ryan. Students were passing us by in the hallway, either also coming back from lunch or from cleaning out their lockers. I step in front of him before we reach Barry.

"This is for the best." With one nod from me that he returns, I smile and head towards Barry.

Barry was sitting in his usual spot at the security desk, taking names of students. Some kids ditch after lunch because it's close to the end of school and that makes Barry's job even harder. When Barry is mad, he tends to act like a dog ready to chew off anyone's head.

I approach him carefully. "How we doing today, Barry?" I ask the security guard.

Barry, who was staring at his phone while grumbling, looks up at me before letting out a joyful laugh. The hallway is filled with students who were emptying their lockers but instead of just the crashes of the metal doors, Barry's laugh echoed in the hall too. Barry must have talked to quite a few kids that were running around the hallway. We had just finished finals. Some people think that means everything was over.

"Well if it ain't Jones. Don't ya look beautiful! That yearbook picture gonna be something. What ya here for now? Haven't heard your name in a while! Improving." Suddenly, Barry leans forward and his chair squeaks in protest. "Hey, I been hearing kids getting emails from colleges. Got yours yet?"

I nodded. "Got mine this morning. Miles wants me to show him the responses."

Barry leans forward some more."Listen here. No college betta be dumb enough not to take you. You is a smart girl. Been through some things I ain't neva heard young people go through. You deserve that scholarship you been aiming for. They be dumb if they don't see it."

I smiled. I patted his shoulder and said,"I have my fingers crossed. Other people have had it worse, but thank you for watching out for me, Barry. It means a lot."

He smiles and the wrinkles showed now more than ever. He gave a hearty laugh once again. "No need to thank me, Jones. Get that education. You gonna do something someday and I ain't gonna be the one who helped ya. That be all on you."

I gave him a hug this time. "Thank you."

Ryan spoke up from next me. "That's very kind of you, Sir."

Barry goes serious and just seems to notice Ryan by my side. "Ain't you Grey's boy? Whatcha here for now? Where that bossy one at?"

I have to stifle a laugh.