Chapter 6 ~ Breaking News

Chapter 6

Amelie

  I turned around, settling in my comfortable bed. It was so warm, I didn't want to ever get up. Opening my eyes, I noticed Christian wasn't here. I put my hand on his pillow and something rustled between my delicate fingers that were still numb from cold. It was a piece of paper laying next to me, a short note. Using my elbow, I pushed myself up to read it.

    Amelie, I had to leave in order to speak with the King of Rane Kingdom near us. He'll help us in the War, but I must convince him we have a good reason why. I'm hoping he'll give us part of his army, although I'm sure my father has something that may help us too. Gabriel will take care of your fever, don't push yourself and forget about the punishment I said, you'll do it when you recover. - the King.

   Of course he signed himself like the King, only I called him Christian in my mind. I was wondering why he left so early, curious. The idea of Gabriel taking care of me constantly replayed in my mind, I didn't like it at all. My fever was a bit worse than yesterday but I was still able to do everything, Christian and Gabriel probably looked at me with pity I didn't want. It was just a fever, nothing serious.

  I brushed away the hair from forehead with my sweating fingers and immediately felt refreshed. The sensation of feeling hot but in the same time cold felt strange. I pulled away covers, giving my body space to breathe in the fresh air. Slowly, I got up without falling and walked to the window to open it. I put my forehead on the cold metal and barely opened it with my other hand. Fresh air filled my nostrils and took away smell of sweat.

   I heard a click on the other side of the room and turned around, discovering Gabriel's worried glare. He watched at me in amazement, like I have done something impossible.

     ''Amelie? Go back to the bed, you shouldn't get up at all.''

   Surprised by his sudden worry and niceness, I started walking towards the bed, too exhausted to argue. Sudden blackness covered my vision completely and my legs gave out. Two warm arms tightened around me and stopped me from falling but I still couldn't open my eyes.

     ''Amelie, wake up!''

  Gabriel

     I gently picked her up from the ground, trying not to bump her head on the edge of the bed. She squirmed a little in her sleep and I smiled, knowing she's just too exhausted. While I gently placed her on the bed and pulled all covers up around her shoulders, I wondered if she hated me, after all I have done she had reasons to.

       I hoped she still believes I love her because I do, and now I'm not sure I will ever let her go.

     Something else that Christian said bothered me. She was so sweet and innocent, too young. It was so hard to tell her, especially now when she was in this horrible condition. I wanted Christian to tell the news to her himself, I'm sure I would break down and ruin it before time.

      ''Gabriel? I need you...''

  I turned to the door, where Kassie stood. She had a frightened expression on her face so I thought it was something serious. I kissed Amelie on her cheek slightly and quickly and walked out, gently closing the door after me. She smiled and wrapped her arms around my neck loosely, in a seductive way...well at least she thought it was seductive but to me, it was annoying and disgusting.

       ''I need you Gabe.''

      She tricked me, made me thing she needed something.

      ''Your sister is laying there, sick, and you think about this? You don't deserve a sister like her. Now, go away and don't come back searching for me.''

      My cold annoyed tone surprised her but she pretended she heard wrong and stood up on her tip toes to reach my face and try to kiss me. Angry, I turned her around in a flash and slammed to the wall, causing her to flinch from fear.

     ''Stop this. I don't want you and I never will, just do yourself a favour and forget me, give up.''

     A new voice echoed through the hallway and I tensed.

     ''What's going on here?''

     The King came out, confused. I let Kassie go and slightly bowed my head down, in sign of a respect towards Christian.

       ''Nothing, my King. We were just discussing about something, I'm sorry if we were too loud.''

       He seemed amused with my answer and I could almost see the corners of his mouth going up but it faded away. The King motioned to follow him in his other Chamber to speak privately. He ensured there wasn't anyone who could listen and closed the door firmly. I tried to hide my surprised expression, I never expected him to return so fast.

         ''Amelie?''

       Of course, what else could bother him. I had to admit I was worried for her... but he? He hated her, at least we all thought so.

      ''She had a fever when I saw her in the morning, leaning against the window so I suppose she was trying to get some fresh air. She was too weak to even stand, passing out on me.''

     His breath quickened at the last part. By reading his expression, I knew he was thinking the same as me. We had to tell her the truth, soon.

      ''We need to tell her, I can't keep lying while looking in her eyes...''

     The King nodded in agreement but he was still worried, sad and feeling hopeless.

     ''Follow me.''

     I obeyed him and we went to the Chamber where Amelie was. I smiled at her face, she looked so childlish, peaceful in her sleep. The King pressed his hand lightly to her forehead, checking the fever. He seemed relieved with the result and gave me a small smile so I knew she was a bit better.

      She slowly opened her eyes and I sat next to her, gently placing her sweaty pale hand into mine. I looked her in the eyes, searching for fear but I was relieved when I didn't find any. Maybe she was too sick to remember me, or care about it.

      ''Amelie...we can't lie anymore to you, you have to know the truth. Please tell me you're not going to give up.''

      She tried to speak but failed miserably. I silently shushed her and she backed down, preparing for the news I had to tell her, unfortunately.

      ''Amelie...you are dying.''