Chapter 14 ~The Final Countdown

Chapter 14

Amelie's POV

The training was hilarious in one way, many members of the Royal Family didn't even know how to hold a wooden sword. Me and Christian sat on the grass, watching over the youngest boys who wanted to learn how to fight. We were amazed by their strong will and ability. Gabriel, along with other guards was doing his job very seriously, which was expected. Aderyn, along with her friends, was already limping, complaining about how hard the training was. It confirmed my decision to make her stay outside the battle field, she wasn't capable of fighting yet.

''Enjoying watching us suffer?''

One of the villagers raised his eyebrow at me, smirking.

''Actually...I don't but you were the one who said yes. If you're not-''

''Oh, I am ready, don't worry. Your Kingdom will be safe with me, your Highness.''

He did a dramatic bow to us, making Christian laugh. Gabriel shot him a glare, calling his name. After the boy had left, I turned to Christian who was deep in his thoughts.

''You know, two months ago, I would say you were an idiot, who doesn't care about anyone else. I never expected you to be my brother.''

''To be honest, it was the same thing I thought about you. After I learned the truth, I wanted to take back my offends but it was too late to apologize, you were already broken. I just wish we can start again, joining our forces against enemies.''

''Yes, we're halfway through it. Watching all these people who have will to fight, protect their families...it's something precious. After the meeting yesterday, I thought only several people will respond.''

''And yet, over thousand of them came.''

It was the truth, we were both stunned by sudden attraction from all those people. Several women came to our chamber, asking to protect their children when the war comes. We made a deal and sent messenger to inform all families about the secret chamber, in case something happens to Gabriel.

''Do you know who's the spy?''

''Yes, but I do not want to reveal the person to anyone. Several other suspects are already scared, all I have to do is to force them to speak by empty threats.''

My answer was completely true, I couldn't let Christian know about Aeron, his intents and helpers. His father was a known healer in a village near, he's a very powerful man who will do anything to destroy me if I execute his son. While walking around the village yesterday afternoon, I heard some men talking about their suspects, they even thought Gabe has something with it. I doubted it was true, he had no reason to be our, my enemy.

''Don't you think you're overreacting? Maybe you're wrong about the spy, I don't want you saying someone name if he or she is innocent. It would ruin our reputation and relationship with our people, for a long time.''

Adeline's Kingdom was burned to the ground, someone killed my friends and witnessess, the village near was destroyed...and all Christian cared was his reputation? So many lives were lost, lives of children, yet he was indifferent. Maybe he didn't change himself so much as I thought. Someone  my uncle taught me was: ''Never trust to anyone, especially not men.'' He was a man himself, and he didn't want me to trust him but believe, which I did.

''Do you question my decisions?''

A hesitant reply came out.

''No, it's just that...I love you as my sister and I'm sorry for my act before but our life, along with our kingdom could be in grave danger if you have a false accuse.''