Chapter Eight: Odette

I pulled a black and white cardigan over my torso before picking up my bag and walking out to my van. I threw my bag in the van before getting in myself. I pulled the door shut and started off towards the town.

"Let's see what there is to do in this po'dunk town..." I whispered to myself as I drove into the town. People were walking up and down on the sidewalk. I parked in front of a small diner and got out and went into the diner. I sat at a table and waited for a waitress to come.

I placed my teal and crème bag on the table and dug around in it for my phone. People gave me strange looks as soon as I found it.

"Damn it." I sighed, looking at the dark screen of my dead phone. I looked around before snapping at my phone, bringing it back to life. That caused my birthmark to burn. The birthmark in question was shaped like a sun and it was on the back of my neck.

"Ow." I cringed, throwing my hand over the back of my neck. The front door blew open and a girl, accompanied with the boy I had accidently hit, came strutting in. The girl was in a vinegary mood.

"Have you got the costumes?" The girl asked. She was the girl I had walked into earlier this week. She seemed... odd. Something about her was weird. I'm not sure what though. Something just seemed odd about her.

A lady came and stood at the end of the table I was standing at. She was the girl that "kicked" me out of the B 'n' B the other day.

"What do you want?" She asked, blowing a bubble with a piece of gum in her mouth.

"Uh... A Melya? Please." I asked, looking at the menu. The girl nodded and walked off. I was minding my own business, looking at my phone, when suddenly a man and his son walked in and sat down. I smiled and nodded. The little boy was wearing green and mustard yellow lederhosen, with a sun bleached shirt on underneath. He was wearing a small pointed hat that was the same shade of green and had a yellow feather. The dad was wearing tan capris and a baggy sky blue shirt.

The girl came over with my drink and left. I stirred it before taking a sip from the hot beverage. I looked back at my phone. A picture of Pinocchio and his father Gepetto popped on the screen. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up at the boy and his dad, who were now being terrorized by the Lady and the man I had hit with my car earlier. I'm honestly surprised he's doing better.

"Maxwell, I said leave the boy alone."

"Oh, I heard what you said old man." She crossed her arms. Maxwell? Interesting name for a lady.

"Leave." The old lady from the B 'n' B ordered. "Get out of my diner!"

"Don't tell me what to do, grams!" Maxwell shouted. I stood up and looked at her.

"Leave these people and their peace. Get the hell out of here! They've done nothing to make you cause them harm!" I shouted, walking over to the little boy. I placed a hand on his shoulder and looked at Maxwell. "Get the hell out of here. And, if see you here again I will burn you alive."

"As if."

"Do you not believe me?" I asked, snapping my fingers and lighting a small flame on the tip of my finger. She looked at my finger and cocked her head.

"Do you think you own this place, lady?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"No," I shook my head. "No, I just don't like seeing people get hurt. Get out." I pointed at the door. "Now." I growled. Maxwell easily growled back before heading towards the door.

"Come on, Peter." She pushed the door open. The man I had hit walked away from the counter he was sitting at and over towards Maxwell. They both left the building, leaving the diner and the customers all together.

I let out a deep, deep sigh of relief before taking my hand away from the boy and looking at it. It was just a plain, old hand. That's it. Nothing special. Well, isn't that a lie. I snap and something good happens. Isn't that wizard? No. I hate being called a witch or a wizard. Witches are evil and Wizards are old men with long beards and robes and pointy hats.

"Thank you so, so much." The dad stood up and looked at me. "That isn't the first time Maxwell and Peter have done that." He took my hand in both of his. I looked at him and cocked my head. He had a tired look on his face.

"You're so very welcome." I smiled, looking down at his son. "What's your son's name? If you don't mind."

"Pinocchio." He smiled down at his boy. "And I am Gepetto." HE bowed. I quirked my head.

"Odette." I smiled, retracting my hand. "I best get back to my drink." I smiled and looked back at my drink and bag.

"Hey! Let's all hear it for Odette!" Gepetto cheered, looking at me. "Without her, Maxwell and Peter would've caused more danger!"

"Yeah!" A few people cheered. A few clapped and a few whistled. I smiled nervously before walking back over to my table. I sat down and stared at my drink. A person came over and stood at the end of my table. I slowly moved my gaze to look up at him.

"James. And you?" He asked, nodding at the open seat across from me. I nodded for him to sit.

"Odette." I smiled softly. James was probably a few years younger than me. He was wearing a black and white pin-stripe suit. His hair was short, although, he did have rather interesting facial hair. His eyes were bright blue.

"There's been a buzz about you here."

"I just arrived in town a few days ago. There was an old farm house someone said I could have. With a little TLC, I made it livable again. Although, I'll be leaving tomorrow... Probably." I shrugged, lifting my mug up to my lips.

"Don't leave just yet. The mayor is throwing a costume party soon." He smiled, looking at me.

"I really shouldn't."

"Everyone in town is invited. I have a plus one."

"Oh yeah? Why's that? A man as handsome as you and you don't have a date?"

"I'm surprised a lady as beautiful as you hasn't been invited." He remarked, crossing his arms. I squinted and looked at him.

"I'm thick." I shook my head. "How could I be so dumb? You're the mayor. Damn." I shook my head.

"After seeing you put up with Maxwell and Peter, I just had to talk to you. Everyone's afraid of her for some odd reason."

"She's a coward. She's just bullying people cause she's scared." I remarked. I looked up at James. "I better be going."

"Please come to the party."

"okay. I'll be there." I smiled, picking up my bag and phone. "It was nice meeting you, Mister Mayor." I smirked.

"And you, Odette." He nodded before letting me leave. I got back into my van, and drove off towards my home. Once I arrived home, I sat on the couch and picked up the book again. It began whispering.

"I can feel it!" It said. "It's here!"

"Will you shut up about the other book?! It isn't real!" I shouted, slamming the book shut again, standing up and putting it high onto the bookshelf.