Chapter 31

Grayson's POV  [1 month later]
It's been a month since the incident.
She never talks anymore. She spends her time sitting on the bed, just staring into blank space. The only movements that she does is only to eat, use the washroom, and shower.

That day hurt her, but I can't blame her at all. It's like a piece of her was taken away, she can no longer survive. And now, I've got to fill up all that empty space. I have to mend her.

The scene in front of me broke me whole. "Mom!" Her scream was filled with pain, her tears streaming down one after the other. I stood frozen into my spot, I don't know how to react. "Please! Wake up, you can't be gone just like that." She held her mother's lifeless body in between her arms, as she wept. 

"Pl-please. I-I can't live without you. Y-you were suppose to-to see me in that whi-white dress." Her voice cracked every time she spoke. "Don't go.... I-I love you." Her sobs never stopped.

I fell to my knees next her, shock taking over me completely. "Gra-Grayson, bring her back. Please! I beg you." Everything inside me was aching, I can't comprehend this. "I-I.... I can't."

"Grayson, she's gone!" Her dreadful eyes met mine, and I felt myself physically break. The look in her eyes was the one look that I never wanted to receive from anyone. She grabbed my shirt and shook me,"Help her please!" Everything around me became silent, as if the whole world was blocked out. All I can see was her pain as she continued trying to bring me to my senses.

That day will forever be stamped into my brain. And the most thing I fear is that maybe she'll never get better, and maybe I really just can't help in any way.

"April, it's time for your shower." I sat in front of her on her bed. Her body remained frozen, as if I was facing a statue and not a human being. "Baby?" I reached my hand over to caress her face. "Come on now." She looked at me briefly before her eyes faced the ground again.

I took her hand and led her to the washroom. "Alright, I'll leave your clean clothes on your bed." She nodded at me, although her eyes never met mine the whole time. I turned on the hot water, and the shower started.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" I offered. "No." She replied in a whisper, her voice barely even heard. I nodded before heading out. Although I was not sure if I should've respected her decision because she really doesn't look stable right now.

I left her in the shower and headed down stairs. It was about dinner time now, so I've got to cook for us. My mother and Ethan suggested that she spends the next few months in our house, but April wanted to stay in her own house. I guess something about this place kind of keeps her sane.

I haven't gone anywhere for the past month. I can't risk leaving her alone. The last thing I need is for her to hurt herself. Aside from the grocery store, I haven't been anywhere. No one even visits, except for Ethan because he brings me clean clothes every week.

All the guys just call, I guess they really don't know how to act in these types of situations. And frankly, I really don't either, but one of us has to remain strong through this or else we both fall apart.

I'm getting worried about her, she's changed, and I'm afraid that she won't change back. April has become cold, she didn't even want to say a few words during her mother's funeral. And after a few days when they read her will, she called everyone heartless and left in the middle. The idea of her mother gone has still yet to process through her brain.