Chapter 38

Grayson's POV
"April!" I heard Ethan scream making me jolt in my spot. For a minute, I froze. But once my whole body came back to life, I left the zipper of my pants undone and ran out. "What's going on?"

I ran into the hallway, my eyes searching for any sign of her. The first thing I saw was Ethan standing at the top of the stairs, a shocked look across his face. I ran to him, standing next to him for a second. But once I saw where his eyes were looking, I felt my whole world fall apart.

It's too soon to see her like that again, life is just not fair. I sprinted down the stairs immediately, my legs threatening to drop me, as I tripped while taking the steps down two by two.

Her fragile body lay across the floor, her eyes shut and a big slit has taken place down her forehead. I quickly bent down next to her, shaking her. "April..." I suddenly felt the need to cry. "April wake up!"

"Come on! Please just..." I shook my head, as a rush of panic attacked my body. I placed my right index finger under her nose checking for her breath, as my other hand held her body close to me. I released a deep sigh once I felt her breath slowly fan over my finger.

"Don't just fucking stand there!" I shouted at him, looking up. "Call an ambulance!" I demanded. "Grayson I-I swear it wa-was an accident I-I..."  he tried to explain as he still stood at the last step of the stairs. "I don't want to hear you! Enough!"

"What's going on?" Cameron asked, as she walked through the front door. "Oh my god! April!" As soon as she saw her body in between my arms, she immediately came running. "Grayson, what happened?"

"I-I don't know... Just please... Please call an ambulance!" I begged her, and she quickly nodded. "Baby, wake up... Please just hold on tight for Gray, okay?" Even though I looked childish talking to her during her  unconscious state, I still had a small bit of hope that she might reply.

"They're on the way." Cameron informed. "I-I love you. Please stay?" I looked down at her, noticing that the colour has been drained from her face. Her blonde hair framed the cut on her forehead. I sat there staring at her, as my tears dropped onto her face that already had blood running down it.

I could hear Cameron calling mom in the background and I could see Ethan from the corner of my eye, as he just stood there not knowing what to do. Blood ran all the way down the side of her face, I wiped it away as soon as it was about to drop onto her shirt.

I continued to wipe away the blood from her face, not wanting to ever see another drop of blood in my entire life. All it brings back are bad memories, tragic ones in fact. I was shaken out of my daze by sirens, which means the ambulance is here.

I immediately took her body into my arms completely, and picked her up bridal style. I wish I would've gotten the chance to do that on our wedding day only, instead of in this situation. I ran out of the door that Cameron opened for me, and I was immediately greeted by nurses with a stretcher.

"Grayson!" I heard Christine shout, I turned frantically to be met with Hunter's mom. "What's going on?" She asked, while glancing behind me at April on the stretcher. "Please help me."

"Okay. You go with her, and I'll bring Cameron and Ethan." I nodded at her quickly. "Alright Cameron and Ethan get in the car, and Hunter take care of your brothers." She instructed.

"Mom I want to go." Hunter said. "Hunter no yo-" she started but he quickly interrupted,"I need to go." She looked at him for a second. "Ok fine. Brandon take Ashton and go over to Jacob's house, I'll be back soon."

Once it seemed like I had everything figured out, I quickly hopped on the ambulance before the door closed. I sat next to her and held her hand, as the nurses crowded her. "Will she be okay?" I asked quietly, looking down at her. "Don't worry, she'll be fine. It's not an intense injury."

•••••••
"Doctor!" I quickly got up, I've been waiting for him to come and tell us how she's doing for three hours. "Are you April Evendale's family?" He questioned. "Y-yes!" I answered.

"Don't worry, she's doing just fine. It was nothing major, but she did have to get seven stitches for the cut on her forehead." He explained. "Right now she has a basic concussion from the hit she got on her head, which shook her brain. She'll be awake in a few hours."

"When can I see her?" I asked. "I prefer if you would give her a little more time." He said. "Thank you so much." My mom said, as Christine smiled at him. I walked back to my seat, and Hunter sat next to me.

He was the only person that I said a word to today. My mom and Christine are sitting together, while Cameron is trying to talk to Ethan. Hunter is the only one I can stand right now, the last thing I need is to talk to Ethan right now, he caused all of this.

"Grayson?" Hunter spoke quietly. "Hmm?" I hummed back. "Do you want to go wash your hands?" He questioned. I glanced down at my hands to see them covered in dried up blood, I had forgotten that I wiped it away from April's forehead. "Yeah."

Hunter walked me to the washroom, and helped me get rid of all the blood that stained my hands. "Are-are you okay?" He asked slowly. "Yeah... Yeah I'm fine." I nodded while dismissing his question. "Are you sure?"

"I-no.... No I'm not okay, Hunter." I confirmed. "They said she'll be fine." He reminded. "Yes I know, but still. I can't be happy if she's not next to me." I shook my head while looking down. "I mean you understand, don't you? It's the same with Blake and you isn't it?"

His big green eyes met mine, then fell back to the floor again. "No... It's not the same." He looked away, not daring to make eye contact. "Yes it is." I confirmed. "But you keep telling yourself otherwise, and that's why you can't believe what I'm saying. But in the end it's true. You love him, and he loves you. Just like April and I."

After that, I walked out of the washroom with Hunter trailing behind. As soon as I sat back down, Ethan came to sit next to me. "I'm sorry." He started. "It was all an accident, but you are allowed to blame me all you want. Even I blame me as well."

"We were just talking, and then we started to nudge each other. But obviously you know me, I'm the stupidest person alive. So without thinking, I nudged her hard, which caused her to slip and fall down the stairs."

"Stay mad at me all you want, I just couldn't live with myself without explaining. And I promise I'll never touch her again." He awaited my response, but when he got nothing in return, he got up to leave. But without thinking about it, I grabbed his wrist.

"I forgive you." I confessed while looking up at him. "Really?" He sat back down, surprised. "Maybe I over reacted a little, after all they said she's doing fine."

[A/N]
In my last author's note I said that I ran out of ideas and decided to make her fall down the stairs. So I had it all planned out that she would go to the hospital and get stitches. I started writing this chapter like two days ago but got tired. But the next day I went to hang with some friends and one of them was like "oh Grayson got stitches." I just had to point out that weird coincidence cuz I swear to god I did not get the idea from Grayson and it wowed me how he got stitches the very next day. Poor little Chippy got taken away😂 who even tries to make a homemade bow and arrow anyway?
-DOLANCY1999