chapter 12

The next week passed by, basically uneventful. I went to the orientation, and you could barely tell you were going into a vampire school. Everything was essentially the same as my old school –flinch–. I got my schedule, and attended all my classes.

Kathy tried to cheer me up, tried to get me to do something with her everyday after we were done school. It didn't work, but I appreciated her effort. At least I had one person I could count as a 'friend' here... which brought me around to the problem that had been lingering on my mind for awhile now.

I hadn't seen Damian once since that... incident. And to admit the truth, even though I was still angrier than ever, it worried me. Had something happened to him?

"Marie? Did you hear what I asked you?" Mr. Sturgeon, my new english teacher, asked me kindly.

I zoned back in to the lecture, and nodded before answering him quietly. Half of my attention had been focusing on the lecture while I thought about different things at the same time. It was nice to have all the thinking space I didn't have before –I could be concentrated on many different things at once and still work at my peak. That was in essence the only thing I got used to quickly. Everything else didn't have such a good impression on me –such as the burning, gnawing sensation at the back of my throat that would simply not go away.

Everyone's gorgeous faces turned to look at me as I talked, much like they always did. That was just one of the things that bothered me. It got better as the days progressed, but still a few people looked back and it was agitating.

This semester I would be taking gym, english, sciences, and 'the basics' as they called it. We always had 'the basics' no matter what semester, and then we got to pick the electives. The periods were a little short, but we picked up a lot of things more quickly so there was really no need for a long, dragged out lesson.

English was my second last class. Next, I had the basics. Wahoo. What fun...

What we'd learned so far was what we were capable of, dangers, what we should stay away from, and the rules of the school. I wondered what was in store for today.

As soon as the bell had rung, I was out of my seat and walking hastily down the hall to my next class. A few people upon my first day really seeing me came up to me, and talked to me. As I skulked down the hall, I felt someone's presence walking beside me. I sighed as I turned my head to see Taylor. He was in 'the basics' next too... he also had science with me.

"Hey Marie!" He said brightly.

"Hi Taylor..."

"So how are all your classes going? Mine are going fine... but I think I'd rather be doing other things, you know?"

I sighed, nodded, and closed my eyes, keeping up my fast pace.

"I guess they're fine."

He nodded, over enthused as he tried to keep up with me. And as a cause of that, we entered the class seconds later. I rushed up the shiny wooden stairs up to the top row in the far right corner. This was basically the back of the classroom.

I saw Taylor hesitate before he made the decision to climb the stairs and take a seat next to me.

I rolled my eyes behind the cover of my hair as I brought out my books.

Suddenly people started appearing out of no where, filling up all the seats fairly quickly. The last person to enter the room was the teacher –Mr. Bennett. He had a very serious stature and was extremely solemn about his work.

"Good afternoon class. Let's start off today by reviewing yesterday's notes quickly, and then we are starting a new topic –hunting."

I don't think it was possible for my face to go any whiter, but it did. My eyes widened and I was momentarily frozen in shock and horror.