chapter 19

We rushed back to the school, and I was pleased that everything went as well as it did. The burn in my throat was gone, and I couldn't feel more alive. I was almost hyper.

The sun was fairly high in the sky by the time we got back, though it was still dusky out. I turned my attention away from the sky –I didn't need to worry; we had plenty of time to get to the event– to Damian, who was now looking at my clothes, smirking. I glanced down, and noticed for the first time that I partially dripped blood onto my shirt and slightly on my sweater. I bit my lip, embarrassed, and I saw him shake his head in my peripheral vision.

"Don't be ashamed... That was your second time after all... everything comes with time."

I nodded, and leaned over the console to rest myself against him. We were almost back at the school, driving down the long driveway.

Soon later we were parked, getting out and he took my arm, smiling.

"Let's get you up to your dorm... you have to get dressed for the meeting." Oh yeah –I'd almost forgotten about it. It hadn't been so high up my priority list really.

In his eyes I could see some concealed emotion, and I tried to decipher it, trying to listen to his thoughts but I could still only hear him faintly. I sighed, looking into his eyes.

"What's wrong, Damian?" I murmured, and he smiled, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

"Nothing's wrong love..."

I cocked my head to the side, but before I could question further he swept me up into his arms again and ran with me, up the stairs I'd never known were there before and then continued all the way up to my dorm in less than ten seconds. I groaned.

"Do you always have to do that?"

He grinned devilishly.

"Yes,"

I rolled my eyes, and whined "Why...?"

"Because it's a lot faster than running at your pace."

From his faint thoughts, I could tell he enjoyed it too. And that put a smirk on my face.

Well, I had to admit that he was a lot faster than me, but I didn't have to like it.

"What happened to me being faster than you?"

"Well you're stronger and faster when you're newborn, but not for too long... So I'm actually faster than you now. And I have yet to know if you are stronger than me. It seems like it anyway,"

I laughed as he opened the door. Well, at least he gave me that...

"I have to go get dressed also, so I'll meet you after I'm done." I looked down at his clothes randomly. I'd never taken notice before of what exactly he was wearing –a grey and black dress shirt and black jeans. It was very casual yet eye-catching; I guess he liked to dress like that when he didn't have to wear a uniform.

Nodding, I stepped up on my tippy toes to kiss him goodbye. Just before I would let him go, I had one more question.

"Am I not allowed to be around you?"

He knew what I meant, and he embraced me tightly. I could see remorse in his eyes.

"I'll try to be with you... but I'm not sure." I sighed, understanding –I kind of had a feeling this would happen.

Sensing my distress, he hugged me harder.

"You have no idea how much I want things to change..." He murmured. And I swear I heard another meaning in there...