| Chapter Two |

Shadows pooled around them as they stepped out of the traveling shadow-like mist. Matthias' eyes were already wide with shock.

Em glanced once at him, but quickly looked away before his gaze could find hers. She didn't want to see the judging look in his eyes, or the fear racing through his heaving chest. She suppressed the urge to run away toward a back alley.

Her fingers twitched once as she took out the package of bread slices that Matthias had given her. She untied the knot and pulled out two slices, holding them in her hand as she removed the container of soup–which was still hot–from the pocket of her cloak.

"Hungry?" She asked, holding out a slice of bread for him to take. Her eyes were questioning as she finally dared a glance at him.

Matthias glanced once at the slices of bread and then back to Em. He didn't smile but his eyes didn't hold any judgmental looks or fearful glances. Em found it quite strange but also refreshing.

"Did we really just do that?" He asked, pointing his thumb behind him to where they had appeared in a spiral of shadows.

Em nodded and let out an exhale through her nose.

"So you really are a...you know?" Matthias asked, whipping his head around to make sure there wasn't a person in sight.

"Yes." Em said quietly. "I'm a Spirit."

Matthias looked around once more before he stilled for half a second, then surged forward and grabbed ahold of Em's arm. He began to drag her away.

"Hey!" She said, trying to remove her arm from his grip.

"Shh! Do you want to cause a scene?" He asked.

"What?" She breathed. Fear prickling her skin.

Em was beginning to get scared. Where was Matthias taking her? She hadn't thought this through and almost dropped to the ground right then and there. Why has she confirmed his thoughts? Why did she tell him that she was indeed a Spirit?

"Wait! Matthias please I–" Em began, her voice wavering slightly. She cursed herself, she didn't want him to know how afraid she really was.

He stilled, stopped in his tracks and turned back to face Em. It was the first time the girl had said his name out loud. The boy flickered his gaze across her face and then met her stare. Matthias could see fear flashing in her eyes.

"I'm not turning you in, if that's what you're worried about. I just want to get us inside somewhere safe." He said, trying to calm her nerves. She still didn't seem to understand so, Matthias tilted his head slightly toward the left where Em squinted. She could see two patrol guards standing off toward the corner of one ruined building. Her eyes widened.

"Alright." She said quietly and Matthias pulled her inside a nearby abandoned warehouse.

Once inside, Matthias automatically blocked the foggy windows with strips of fabric and wood pieces.

Em took the food out of her cloak pockets and set it on the ground for them to share later on. She took this time to watch Matthias' actions closely.

Currently he didn't seem like a threat but it could be quite possible that he's as dangerous as everyone else in this district. For all Em knew, he could be an undercover Kings Men–a palace guard from Mistshore–who's waiting for the opportune time to kidnap her and take her to the dungeons. Em gulped heavily and decided to get as much information out of Matthias as she could. Before she began questioning him, she pulled over a large tin can and began finding scraps of fabric to throw inside of it. By the looks of it, this building was probably a textiles warehouse, considering all the spare fabric littered everywhere. Em also gathered some wood from the corner of the room and threw that into the tin can as well.