| Chapter Fifteen |

Em watched the vivid blue sky for awhile as she waited for Matthias and Jonah to pay for their clothes. She had no idea how they could even afford anything since neither of them had any actual money but, they told her they had it covered.

So, Em was waiting outside the shop, her dagger strapped across her waist as she watched the clouds pass over the sky. Passerby's were strolling about. Some ladies were carrying parasols to shade their face from the scorching sun, men wore pristine uniforms with many medals, and the children wore similar attire.

"Excuse me, miss."

A sudden, low voice from beside her made Em jump. She hadn't been expecting someone to be leaning against a doorframe a few feet away.

She pressed a hand to her beating heart and laughed nervously. "You gave me quite a fright."

"Er...sorry. But do I know you from somewhere?"

Em turned to look at the man beside her. He had incredible white hair, high-tipped ears, and an overall pale complexion. His shirt was a creamy white matched with brown leather gloves. Em even noticed his dark-green cloak tied around his neck. The boy's eyebrow rose in question.

"I'm actually new here." Em replied, trying not to let her fear show.

C'mon boys hurry up in there!

"Oh, and where are you from?" He asked, pressing for answers.

Em only shrugged and decided to try changing the subject from this nosy boy.

"I'm actually a princess escort. A princess-in-waiting sort of thing." She smiled sweetly at the boy and watched his silver eyes flick over her.

Em found it strange that every man's attention seemed to be zeroed in on her and her alone. She had seen the similar reactions from Matthias and Jonah. Now, of course she knew what love and lust were but this, it couldn't be. Jonah and Matthias were only her friends and of course they wouldn't like her.

But, this boy in front of her with the white hair and elvish features, well, he seemed to be somewhat infatuated with her existence and she couldn't place why.

"Ah, I didn't know they had newcomers this time of year. What's your name, miss?" The boy asked.

"E–Rosalind." She quickly lied.

"Rosalind." The boy said aloud, testing her name. "Beautiful. My name is Arron Harp."

"Nice to meet you." Em said, adding a curtsy for properness.

The elf-boy bowed slightly, a smile on his lips. "Well, you should know my dear Rosalind that I am a prince escort. A prince-in-waiting sort of thing." He said, copying her words from earlier.

"Oh really?"

"Yes. Isn't it just a twist of fate that we had stumbled upon one another?" Arron asked playfully.

Em was about to answer when the door to Miss Cliff's Tailor Shop opened and out came Matthias and Jonah. They immediately looked toward Em, their expressions bright and ready. Then, they saw the boy beside her and their smiles dipped into frowns of uncertainty.

"Gentlemen." Arron nodded to them each respectively and Em watched as the elf-boy eyed their fake officer medals.

For a moment, Em couldn't help but appreciate Matthias' new outfit. A crisp black silk jacket top that fitted to his torso was covered in medals he had 'won'. Across his belt hung his sword and his trousers were a matching black fit, tucked into similar boots. Even his hair was combed back and Em was suddenly grateful that his cloak had been disposed of. He was quite beautiful in the sunlight and didn't need anything to hide behind.