Instincts.

Karkat's POV

I watched as Nepeta bounced through the doorway, followed by a nervous looking Equius. Mostly everyone had showed up, we were just waiting on Vriska, Sollux, Eridan, Tavros and Gamzee.

"Hi Karkitty!" Nepeta squealed as she hugged me tightly. I returned the hug, greeting her. I noticed Equius eyeing Aradia, who was talking with Kanaya. Nepeta then let go of me and dragged him off to fuck knows where.

Skimming the room, I tried to find Dave, but he was nowhere in sight.

Dave's POV

I buried my face in my hands and told myself to relax.

You're fine, Dave. Just... go back out there and... fuck. I shook my head. When Kanaya first saw Dirk today, there was tension between them. They didn't say anything to each other for about three minutes. They just stood there and stared at each other. Then Kanaya spoke up. All she said was his name, and he nodded in return. That was it. No fighting, no angry glances at one another. Nothing. I guess I'm somewhat relieved.

I sighed, struggling to stand up. I was currently sitting in a corner of John's bathroom. I couldn't handle so many people surrounding me, I needed to be alone. I rubbed my eyes and opened the door. I instantly noticed that the house was even more crowded. I began to search for Karkat, but couldn't find him.

Karkat's POV

I groaned, irritated. Where the fuck did he go? Ah! There he is! I spotted Dave, walking down a hallway that led to John's bathroom and bedroom. I made my way to him, and as I came closer, I noticed something wasn't right. He looked more pale than usual, and nauseous.

"Hey... Karkat...?" He obviously noticed me staring. I looked from side to side, making sure nobody was paying attention. Then, quickly, I grabbed his arms and lifted up his sleeves. I felt him jump back as I did so. I saw no damage, so I checked the other one.

"Karkat what... was that for?" He asked, almost seeming to be concerned. I let go of his arms and looked away.

"SORRY." I cleared my throat. "INSTINCTS."

"...Instincts?"

"YEAH, YOU UH, YOU LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE IN SHOCK OR SOME SHIT. I THOUGHT... NEVERMIND. I'LL STOP TALKING NOW." I turned around and tried to get lost in the small crowd that was gathering in the living room.
Dammit Karkat, you just made a fool out of yourself.

Dave's POV

I stood there, lingering for a bit, thinking over exactly what just happened. Apparently he thought I tried to harm myself. But... what does he mean by instincts?

I shook the thoughts away and observed the party. Eridan and Sollux had just shown up, followed by Tavros who was being wheeled in by Gamzee. I was about to try and find Karkat again when I noticed Vriska strut in, holding something in her arms. I think I heard a gasp come from one of the female trolls, while Sollux commented with a 'Niice'.

"Hey guuuuuuuuys!" She smirked. "John, I hope you don't mind, 8ut I 8rought you a little present, although you most definitely 'Didn't want any of us to get you anything 8ecause your friendship means so much' and 8lah, 8lah, 8lah." She pointed to the bundle in her arms. "8ut it's the least I could do."

She held out the bundle, and I got a better look at it, noticing it was a box of liquor. I wasn't entirely sure how John would react, but Roxy, who was next to him, clapped her hands.

"Now that is like, totally friggin' cool!" She smiled brightly. "But uh, how... did you get to be able to buy all this?"

Vriska handed the box to her and reached into her pocket, pulling out a small white slip.