What Even Is Love?

Dave's POV

"Right, so it'll take around nineteen hours to get to Vegas from Austin, if I'm correct. If gas costs around what, twenty dollars? I'll need to figure out how many gas stations we'll be passing..." Dirk mumbled to no one in particular as he wrote down his calculations on a peice of paper. I watched, but wasn't completely paying attention.

For the past couple of days, I haven't been... okay. I've noticed, and so has Dirk and Karkat. I... I can't help it. It was my fault... or at least some of it...

I helped kill her... I did it... even though... she... she didn't deserve... no... no... no...

"Dave? Hey, I asked you a question." I shook my head, looking back at Dirk.

"Huh...?"

"I asked which hotel you thought would be a good idea to stay at." I looked away and shrugged, yawning. I was extremely tired.

He smirked slightly, pulling out his phone. Bringing up a picture, he showed me a hotel he'd chosen, which was The Venetian.
It was Italian themed, and looked beautiful, to be honest. I nodded and he took his phone away.

"I've already gone over it with the others. Jake and I will share a room, and you and Karkat will share another. I got a room with only one bed for you guys, but you can always tell me if you want two beds." Just then, Karkat opened the door to the living room, the typical frown on his face.

"Hey, speak of the tiny and pissed off Devil." Dirk commented as Karkat rolled his eyes and walked over, plopping down on the couch next to me. He closed his eyes, not saying a word.

Lately, Sollux and Nepeta had been trying to help him find a new job, after being unemployed for about a month and a half. The thing is, Karkat wasn't fantastic at working with people. He became more moodier than usual when bossed around, and he had a tendency to forget things when rushed. Before, he'd worked as a barista at a Starbucks for about four months. I would always remember to tell him about how ironic I found it that he was working at a fucking Starbucks. I actually found it more funny than ironic, being that if he were human, that is the exact place he'd work at. I thought back to the conversation we had when he finished his first day of work.

Karkat slammed the door, grumbling angrily. Leaning forward, I chuckled and pushed up my shades.

"Well, howdy darlin'. Not every day do I get to see a pretty little face like yours around these parts a' town." I said, letting my thick Texan accent slip out. Karkat just growled and walked over to a corner of the living room, sitting down with his knees to his chest. I raised an eyebrow, but shrugged it off.

"Oh hey Dave! It's nice to see you, man, being I haven't seen you in like, two weeks. And I know I haven't talked to you in a week either, even though I have your number, Pesterchum account and all that shit. I just wanted to say I'm sorry and that I secretly love you, that's why I act like I hate you. I just can't get enough of your hot body, your charming smile that makes me melt on the inside, your--"

"THAT'S ENOUGH, FUCKASS."  Karkat yelled. I smirked and stood up, stretching my arms above my head.

"And that just proves the fact that you're secretly in love with me." I walked over to him, slumping down. He mumbled something inaudible and turned to the wall, still curled up. Then, without warning, he threw his arms up into the air, almost hitting me in the face.

"Hey, dude, watch where you're flinging tho--"

"I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK IS A LATTE? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? WHY DOES NOTHING MAKE SENSE? WHY THE FUCK DOES 'STARBUCKS' EVEN EXIST?"
"Don't ask me. I'm not the creator of 'White girl palace', I don't know this."  Karkat groaned, leaning back into my lap.