Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Ah, Anya. I am so pleased you could join us. If you will have a seat, we were just about to recap what we had managed to achieve so far. I would appreciate your take on it.”

Hunter heard the annoying male voice in the back of his mind. His eyes still locked upon the woman before him. He had been hunting her for a very long time. Through the boredom of longevity she had managed to keep him entertained and agile through the centuries. Each time they met a new challenge was set by her, and each time so far she had won. This time…he would not let that happen.

She had left him severely injured the last time they had tussled, this time he would show her exactly what it meant to test him as such. Her eyes flickered to the exasperatingly pompous human behind him. Could the man be any more obvious he wanted this female in his bed? Though he was confused at the mollified feeling he felt at the fact they had not slept with each other. But she cared for him; that he could tell. Why she could care for a worthless, firefly of a human and their pathetic little lives was beyond baffling.

But he saw a chance here. This male wanted her, and she wanted him alive at the least. She was ready to run, he could tell that much. But her eyes showed her worry for the man she would leave behind. She finally had a weakness. He needed to know how much he could blow of this deal before he went in all guns blazing.

Whatever was decided, blood would be spilled this night. And it most definitely would not be his blood this time. All of this thought in a split second. The human probably never even saw a slight hesitation. They were so blind. “Actually, Mr Vitsin. I would like to call my liege lady and update her of the movements so far. If you want to take the time to catch up,” turning his head back to the unfortunate PA. “Anya, was it. I will just step outside into the other office.” Making sure she saw the intent in his eyes, he was not letting her go this time.

He assured that he managed to brush past her as she moved slowly towards the chairs. Watching him as a human would watch a viper. Turning as he closed the door behind him, eyes locked on hers as she sat in the defendable left hand chair, clever, but that was not going to help her. Not now.

She should have run. How could she have been so stupid? She had never before gone against her gut instinct…she was the granddaughter of the angel of truth for god’s sake. She knew this could be a ‘gift’ that she had never really looked at, just trusted and gone with it. Yes, she would have been leaving Stefan with the shark, but she would not have had to trap herself in the office with a trained killer on the other side of the door and a helpless human who had no idea of the situation that had just walked into his office. She couldn’t let anything happen to him. But knowing the Shadow Hunter, as she had learnt from him over the years, there was no way he would leave this be.

He was probably already informing his mistress that she had been found and would be dealt with in a timely manner. Yet she could not bring herself to be truly sorry for her predicament. She had run for so long as so hard, she was tired. If that meant rest came by the way of the final goodnight, she may actually be able to find her peace with that. She, however, did not know if she could accept the thought of this coming down on the man who had helped her so much over the last year.

She may be good at her job, but she had made mistakes. And each and every one had been forgiven. After the suitable moodiness and telling off, of course. Stefan Vitsin did not deserve what she felt was about to befall them both. She was useless to stop it. As she had been useless every other time the humans around her had become collateral damage. Maybe it would be the better choice to accept the death that was to come, give in easily, it would mean less death for those who had no idea of her true identity.