Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Making sure that he was secure in the chair in the living area. His wings awkwardly hanging over the back of the chair. It must have been uncomfortable. But as Nathaniel stepped back he took in the bored expression on Ezekiel’s god like face. It was almost as if he knew something was coming and just had to bide his time. He really did not like questioning his decisions. And he did not like the fact that even though he had had a knife to his throat he had not tried to get out of his hold. He had not fought in anyway. Apart from the shock he tried to give Anya, he had not tried in any other way to get out of being restrained.

In his position that would not be how he would act at all. And as someone in the same position in the hierarchy, and in charge of different sections of a spy network that can get anywhere in the world within hours. And Ezekiel had exactly the same resources to hand. He could have something planned. There was a possibility something big was planned, and it meant the angel was supremely confident of his safety. Enough so that he even let himself be restrained in a vampire’s lair.

His gaze locked with the angel who was too confident in his own skin at the moment to put him at ease in his own home. “Tell me vamp. What to you plan to do with the poor archangel you have attached to a rather comfortable chair in the middle of your underground sitting room?” He caught the quick glance that was thrown in Anya’s direction as she came out of the bedroom. “A little over the top don’t you think?” Eyebrow arched. Yeah, okay, he got Anya’s annoyance with the whole raised eyebrow.

“Ezekiel,” she took both of them by surprise. Answering the comment that had been meant to get a rise out of Nathaniel. “I really don’t think you are in a position to start trying to provoke a vampire. Who has proved quite well in the last twenty four hours; that he is completely capable and comfortable with killing and maiming.” She came to a stop just behind his right shoulder, “So, I think I would suggest you keep quite. For my sanity, if not for yours.” She turned to look at the available seating.

Even with the amount of chairs he housed, unless she could still retract her wings she would not be comfortable in any of them. She seemed to have just realised that thought herself, and her quizzical expression would have made him smile. Had they not been watched by the pretty boy, secured in a chair, “What would they say about your tastes Ezekiel, if they found you tied up in a vampire’s lair? Would you be a rebel? Or would that be too kinky even for your angel chums?”

He turned sharply at the stinging slap he received to his arm. “If you stop trying to get him to retaliate, we would all get on a little better right now.” She turned to walk over to the chaise, muttering along the way, “at least they have decided I’m better off alive at the moment.” He felt the smile slip into place, but instantly wiped it off as he turned and found a similar look upon Ezekiel’s face.

“You don’t look in her direction.” Ezekiel’s bronze gaze zeroed in on him. “Says who?” He took a step closer, just could not stop himself. “You really want to ask that? You’ve just got to look at the position you’re in right now. And the fact I can move a lot quicker than you right now.”

“Nathaniel.” The tone had him pausing in his advance. After everything she had been through. Especially in the last twenty four hours, and mostly because of him. Yet she still had the strength of character to call out a vampire who could very easily kill her. She knew that, and still her sense of right and wrong shone through. Not that it made him pull back, but he stayed in position. Waiting.

Yet she did not speak again until he faced her over his shoulder. Gazes locked. “It would be far better to extract information from a living breathing archangel. Rather than a corpse. Do you not think?” He almost ‘awwwed’ and that was entirely out of character for him. She tried and failed to life an eyebrow, it was definitely a skill some could not achieve. But knowing how she was likely to react to that, instead he focused on her words.