Chapter 15

Chapter 15

He knew he had riled up Anya with his words. And untold pleasure seemed to spread through him. Even if it was an anger that was an unknown quantity until her knew abilities from the power surge became apparent. Her eyes flashing towards him. “Do you now have an ability to see the truth now as well?” About to reply he saw he gaze wander from his to Nathaniel’s, the male who had to be the darkness that stalked her nightmares. He knew he didn’t need to worry in that quarter, who would want a vamp that lived in the shadows, to an archangel who could show her the freedom of the skies.

He watched closely as her gaze locked with Nathaniel’s, saw the pupils widen slightly, pleased it was not because of sexual desire. Seeing her face go blank, before her head turned slowly lining up with where her gaze had taken it. He had to say even he thought it was creepy, but he had seen this before. He was in regular contact with the Angel of Truth. Had seen her go into this trance like state, allowed the truth a voice through the use of her body. Whatever she was to say, it was going to be interesting to see whether or not it lined up with her grandmother’s predictions.

“Nathaniel Urim. Shadow Hunter. And centre of a plan to bring down the vampire echelon, before taking down every vampire left on the earth. What he doesn’t see is that by doing that, it would mean the destruction of all angel kind, it would be a slow and painful death. This world was not created to live in war, and neither was it meant to be split in two. But without all three species, the world will destroy itself.” Her voice was flat, expressionless, and yet he was processing the words behind that voice quickly. Lining it up with similar words he had heard before. Noting the differences, even as subtle as they were. For all the subtly, it meant a catastrophic difference in the outcome of the plan, if she was in fact speaking the complete truth.

He knew the truth could change. Had seen it over the years with Amitiel. It was linked with decisions that had been made or would be made. Some truths fixed, while others could fluctuate. Everyone had thought Amitiel’s prediction that was so similar to the one before him had been fixed. But from the way Anya spoke with a toneless conviction he remembered hearing occasionally before. He knew, what she said would come to pass. No matter the decisions any made at any point to come. It seemed this vamp had to be kept alive. Mores the pity.

“What plan?” Nathaniel’s voice came from close to him, but with a burst of speed and he was in front of her. Frustration bit through him. He did not like the proximity of the vamp to her. And could not show his hand until the right moment. A tiny spark lit in the back of his mind, and perverted pleasure at the knowledge that Nathaniel was infuriated. The positions of the furniture meant that vampy boy could not block his gaze from landing on the half angel, with wings glistening in the low light of the room in a mesmerising sparkle of colour that hit the floor, walls and ceiling behind her.

Bringing his attention back to her as she went to speak again, a jealous seed sprang to life at the intimacy of the moment between the two before him. Eyes locked and shining at each other. Calming a little at the knowledge that Anya still was not present in that clear gaze, the truth still hold her in its grip.

“The angels are coming. They will take the one who proves that coexistence without battle is possible. They want the power she is prophesised to possess. They wish to leash her power, use her as a weapon. What they do not know is that that power comes at a price. One they will not want, not when their goal is the opposite. They do not understand the true meaning of the prophecy.” Her words struck him in the gut, with the power of a sucker punch. He knew what she was saying was the truth, it had to be, and yet it showed a difference to the orders he had received from his commander. There had been no information on her being used for her power. Yes, if she had wanted to join in the fight of her own free will. But nothing on being forced into it. But he could completely see how they could make her do so.