Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It had been so easy, like snapping a twig, but the sound of her pain was not the euphoria he had expected. He thought it would pacify the darker side of him that longed for pain and retribution for the actions she had taken, and the lengths he’d had to go to try and find her. She had tried to look so strong before him. Most cowered when he showed them his true power. Looking straight into his gaze she had set the challenge.

He applied more pressure to her chest, realising she was not going to yield to him through the pain he had inflicted. He wanted her begging before he ended her wretched existence. What must it be to constantly be on the run, watching over her shoulder always for him coming after her? He would be doing her a service taking what was so obviously worthless. Living amongst humans, whoever truly wanted that? It must be such a depressive existence. And yet looking over her once more, she always carried on. She never gave in. Even now, she did not fight, but she also did not weaken herself before him.

She was starting to find it difficult to breathe under his arm. He dropped the broken limb watching the wince she tried to hide slip through, though she let no sound slip through. Nor did she move her other arm to cradle the damaged wrist. A tiny hint of respect squeezed through him. She was stronger than she looked. But she would have needed to be to survive this long.

It made him think over the situation for the first time in years. What was the real reason both side wanted her dead? Apart from the fact that she was born of two species that despised each other. She had not chosen that fate, though she had tried her best to live with it, only not to be allowed that life by the very people who should have taken care of her. Lilith had been so adamant that she die, even when the angels had changed slightly in what they wanted from her. It may not be the ideal scenario for her, but at least with that way she would be alive. Alright, she would also be treated worse than an animal, the level she had been reduced to for her entire life by everyone except the humans.

He could not walk away from this, but he was starting to question the decision to kill her. She was not dangerous when she was left to what little of a life she had. The times she lashed out was when she was forced to it. Even the night of his injuries it had been an accidental explosion set off by a gas pipe in the building she had tried to hide in. She had not meant to harm anyone like that, but even he could see the route she took was the only one available to her.

He shook his head. Was he really trying to reason out the thinking of a half breed? A half breed who felt sorry for the human scum, lived among them and chatted with them like they were friends. Yet there was now a niggling in the back of his mind. He needed to know the real reason the angels had changed their minds. He knew they had powers vamps did not. That mean they could have known there was somebody eavesdropping and put in false believable statements along with the truth.

Yet he could not let it be known he had kept her alive. Looking over her figure he went through a list mentally, until he hit on an idea. With a smile he knew would unnerve her he leaned a little further into her. It would mean the death of another of her ‘friends’ but that was no real loss. He could explain away her loss of body as nobody knew what happened to a half breed at the point of death. Or if they did nobody had shared the information. He would be safe, for a while, in this plan he was forming.

Anevia would not like it very much of that he was sure. He could live with that. He could not imagine something ever hitting the icy centre of him. And her pain was NOT causing him any discomfort at all. Not with the fact that she was so below his contempt that she was below his tolerance of humans. Yeah, that’s what he had to keep telling himself.

In a quick move he lashed out with his foot, catching her right calf, smashing it against the glass wall behind. The crack audible as he held her up, her mouth opened in a silent scream. There was some satisfaction felt there. A tiny simmering inside of the darkness within, but no real pleasure yet again. He had to find out what was wrong with him. This was supposed to be one of the most satisfying moments of his life and here he was trying to feel something of the elation he usually had at the end of a hunt.