Chapter 12 - Peeta

Coin was waiting when we got off the elevator. She nodded in acknowledgement. "Follow me, gentlemen."

The President led us through a maze of hallways before stopping in front of door. I hadn't seen another person since we entered the dark halls of this prison. She opened the door, and motioned us through.

"When you go through this door," She said, "You will find yourself in a wide hallway." Coin pulled a key out of her pocket and handed it to me. "Katniss' cell is the third door on the right."

I took the key and walked through the door. As soon as I had stepped over the threshold, I heard the door swing shut and the click of a lock.

"Why do you think she locked us in?" I ask Haymitch. No response. "Haymitch?" I turn around and see that Haymitch didn't come in with me. There was something suspicious about this. Then I noticed that some sort of gas was leaking into the room.

It was a trap. She was lying all along. I felt the venom taking over my body. I have to escape. That was my last thought before sinking into unconsciousness.

2 Hours Later

I woke up in an empty room. When I say empty, I mean it. There was a metal ring in the stone wall that I was handcuffed to. That was it. There was a door on the opposite side of the room. There was no way I was getting out of here.

I glanced at my handcuffs, and noticed something else. There was a tube running from my arm to the wall. I tried to pull it out, but it was implanted securely in my skin. What was this for? Then it hit me. A memory came rushing back to me, though it wasn't a good one.

My eyes open, and I find myself in a pure white hospital room. The only color I see is a hint of green, the stem of a rose sitting on the table. A white rose. It all comes rushing back to me. The Quell. The lightning tree. Katniss shot an arrow...... Katniss!

"Where is she?" I scream, "What did you do with her?" On one hand, I'm yelling at no one in particular. On the other, I know exactly who I'm talking to. "Show your face, you coward! I know you're listening!"

I hear his voice, calm and serene as always."She left you, Peeta. She betrayed you. Katniss doesn't love you, she never has. She doesn't even have feelings. She's a mutt. Katniss was working for me all along. She doesn't care about you, or Gale, or anyone else."

I know he's crazy. Deep inside, I know it. But for some reason, I feel an overwhelming urge to believe everything he says. What is wrong with me? This is the insane man who sends twenty-four children into an arena every year to die.

"I won't believe you," I say, "If you want me to believe you, you need to prove it. Bring Katniss in here and let her tell me herself. I'll believe anything that comes out of her mouth."

He sighed. "Oh, Peeta. I didn't tell you, did I? You no longer control what you think, what you believe. I do."

I'm confused. "What do you mean?"

He cackled wickedly. "Are you familiar with the term Hijack?"

That was why the tube looked so familiar! It looked just like the tube they used in the capitol when they were........ Oh no. Not possible. That was a method of torture used in the Capitol, not District 13. Right?

But was there another explanation? Hardly. I could almost see the venom, pulsing through my veins and poisoning my brain. In the Capitol, they had shown me images and videos. They told me lies, making me believe what they said was true. They distorted my reality, and turned me against the people I loved the most.

I couldn't let it happen again. I wouldn't let it happen again. "You'll never win Coin!" I yell, "You can't take away my love for her! I am not losing her again!"

I heard a chuckle over the speakers. "Oh, Peeta," said Coin, "So oblivious. I'm not taking away your love, I'm only making it stronger."

The way she said stronger made me shiver. Like it was the worst thing that could possibly happen to me. But how could that be bad? And how much stronger could she make my love for Katniss? Why would she do that anyway? She was my enemy, for crying out loud! Nothing good would come of this, I knew that for sure.

Did hijacking work differently here? Just then, a picture of Katniss appeared on the wall. I noticed there was a projector in the back corner. She was wearing her wedding dress, the one that Cinna made for her. She looked so beautiful, like a shining star in the darkness of the night.

Sexy. I was shocked when that word came into my head. I had never in my life used the word sexy. Then I realized it had been whispered through the loudspeakers. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like that was what I thought of her. Never before had I thought of Katniss in that way.

Then it came to me. Damn that tracker jacker venom! So that's what Coin had meant by "making my love stronger." What she was really doing was making my lust stronger. Next she would be talking about.....

"You love Katniss Everdeen more than anyone in the world. But you don't just love her, you love her body. You've begged and begged, but Katniss has never let you sleep with her. You want to have sex with her more than anything, but she still refuses. I can make it happen Peeta, you just have to do one little thing for me...."

That was the last thing I heard before the venom took control of my brain.

So guys what do you think? I feel like a destroyed Peeta. But I also feel like this should happen. Gale changed drastically when Katniss chose Peeta, so it only makes sense that peeta would change when she chose Gale. I apologize to peeta fans but this is kinda an everthorne fanfic soooo...... Shoutout to my fellow Percy Jackson fans cuz today is Percy's B-Day! We love you seaweed brain! Oh and don't forget to vote.