18. The Monster Has Awoken

I'd like to firstly apologise for the slow update; I had a few school assessments to complete and now I've got exams to study for. I couldn't help but write another chapter of this and I felt it would be unfair to keep it until after exams before uploading so... Here is the next chapter!

I know it's fairly short and I apologise for this. I promise the next chapter (and hopefully the next few chapters) will be longer!

Last but not least, thanks for taking your time to read this. Hope you enjoy it =)

_____

Josh hadn't always been a monster. Not until he had begun drinking alcohol. You know how alcohol has different effects on everyone? Well, most people who drink alcohol get positive effects from it (I'm assuming - why else would people drink?) but unfortunately, Josh was not one of those people.

Josh was great to be around whenever he was sober but when he was drunk... Well... That's another story.

About five months after I learnt that he was abusing mum, Josh turned on me. Initially it was hidden from mum but she quickly found out.

It was a rather sunny, warm evening when it happened. I was sitting in my room when he came barging into my room.

"What the hell do you call this?" Josh growls, holding up a bag of corn chips.

"W-what?" I stumble, shocked by his rude and sudden entrance.

He marches over to me huddled up on my bed, leaning against the wall while reading a book.

"What happened to all my chips?!" He hisses, reaching out and gripping my chin with his left hand.

Immediately, my nostrils fill up with the smell of alcohol. I mentally sigh to myself, knowing what's going to happen next: he'll hit my mum yet again.

Or so I thought.

"I-I dunno," I gulp.

The look in his eyes looks sinister, deadly but most importantly:  frightening. He's never looked at me like this. A realisation dawns in my head: Mum's out shopping. Josh looks at mum this way whenever he's going to...

My thoughts are interrupted by my father's booming voice: "Don't lie to me! Of all the things I know you are, I didn't think a liar was one of them!"

His hand tightens on my chin and I notice him drop the bag of corn chips onto the floor. Neglected, rejected, forgotten... Just like mum. In one swift motion, he pulls up his right hand and brings it across my face at the same time he removes his left hand from my chin. I topple to my right from the sudden impact and find myself coming face-to-face with my pink duvet.

"You are going to pay!" His voice hisses above me.

The floorboards creek slightly as he takes a step forward and clasps my legs in his bear-like hands. I stifle a scream as he drags me off my bed and throws me to the floor. Landing with a thud, it's not long before I become air born again. This time, my back hits the side of my bed which makes my bed wobble from my weight.

"You never, I mean never, do such a thing again, do you hear me? You pathetic, useless freak!" Josh yells at me.

I glance up and see pure fury not only in his eyes but his entire face. The anger has taken over. The monster inside has now officially awoken.

I try and push myself up off the floor but feel his arms wrap around my waist. "Where do you think you're going?" His voice taunts in my ear.