12. Home Sweet Home

This chapter is in Tessa's POV.

Oh btw where there are these symbols: ~ ~ ~ It means that it is a new scene. Hope you enjoy the chapter =)

_____

People don't know me. Yet they all label me as if they do. Freak. Goth. Emo. Over the years I've heard people call me these and more. They all think I'm a freak because I wear black and grey a lot. What's wrong with those colours? There's nothing wrong with them. Just 'cause I wear black a lot doesn't necessarily mean I'm all dark and depressing. They all think that - because I wear black - I must be a goth or an emo or whatever. They are so wrong. I am neither. I am Tessa. I am a tomboy. I prefer black over pink. I prefer sneakers over heels. I prefer t-shirts and jeans over dresses. But there is one thing that I love the most in this world: Dancing.

Life hasn't always been easy for me. Well, my whole family really. You see, my mother works in a bar. Whenever she isn't working she is always at the pub or out partying. I honestly can't remember the last time she came home sober. She has come home at: midnight, one, two, three, four, five... She's even come home at seven before. It is insane. Normal mothers wouldn't come home at seven in the morning giggling and all other kinds of nonsense. Sometimes I can't help but feel like I'm the adult here.

"TESSA... TESSA!!!" I hear my mother calling... A little too louder then necessary. I mean, we don't exactly live in the biggest house. It's one-storey with three bedrooms, one lounge, one kitchen and two bathrooms. Well if you want to get technical about it, there is one bathroom (which has a shower, bath and basin) and a room next door which has just a toilet in it.

"Yeah, mum?" I ask.

"Come down here, please!" She replied.

By 'down', she refers to the fact that we have one large hallway - that descends from the kitchen. To make things easier, I shall break my house down for you. If we're looking at my house from the front - where the front door and road is - you will notice that when you walk through the front door, you are immediately in the lounge. To the right is the kitchen, then there is a long hallway that begins from the kitchen and ends at the back door. There are rooms stretching down the hallway: a large closet, toilet (room), bathroom, mum's room, my room and my brother's (Tommy) room. Thus my mum saying 'down' means that I come down (well I guess more likely up) from my room to the kitchen.

Anyway, I push myself up from my bed - my double bed, might I add - and walk out into the hallway. I left my purple and black covered walls for the white wallpaper that covered the hallway, kitchen and lounge's walls. The bathroom had light blue walls, my mother's room had pink walls and my brother's room had dark green walls. "It matches my eyes," He'd said when we were choosing our room colour.

"Can you look after Tommy tonight? I'm going out with some friends," Mum says as soon as I walk into the kitchen.

"Yeah," I reply. It's not like I could say no: I had no choice in the matter. That's the way it has always been.

"Thanks," She smiled at me. "There's some pasta in the fridge and I bought some mince so you could make lasagna for dinner."

"Yum."

She smiles before walking into the lounge. I open the fridge door and peep inside. There are three bottles of milk, a block of cheese, a packet of mince, a bottle of tropical juice, a carton of custard, a pot of yoghurt and ... That's it. Hmm looks like no dessert tonight. I was just about to open the pantry door when my mum walked back into the room.

"Here," She says, holding out a fifty dollar note. "Take this and go rent a movie and buy some snacks for you and Tommy to share."

"Whoa, mum, that's a lot of money. I can't take all that."